2007 6-Speed Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've searched the site off and on over the last couple of days but can't seem to find any posts that relate to my problem.

I was having the notorious bump issue on my 2007 V-8 automatic tranny. I complained to the service manager at my Ford dealer and he had me bring it in so he could "re-program the transmission." After I got it back, the bump issue was fixed but the tranny was leaking!

So I took it back and they replaced the pan gasket. No leaks since but now ...and this is my reason for this post....I'm getting a low-speed surge at around 31 or 32 miles per hour where the tranny seems to be hunting for another gear. Watching the tach while this surge is going on shows it to bump up about 200 RPM every five or 10 seconds or so.

It will stop doing this at about 40 MPH. The problem does not occur at any other speed.

It's driving me nuts because there are so many streets I drive on with a 35 MPH speed limit.

Anybody have any thoughts? I'm supposed to take it in Friday but when I made the appointment they looked at me as I've I was crazy...like I was imagining this problem.

That's a new issue to me. I've had the bumping issue but it's gone away (43,000 miles).

Sounds like you have bigger issues with the tranny. According to your description, it looks like it's the 5th gear that hunting. Mine usually shifts from 5th to 6th at right around 40 mph (if I'm driving gentle).

How many miles on your truck?

justjimmy: The vehicle has just hit 49,000 miles. I never had a problem with it until they re-programmed the tranny. That's when all of this started.

Sounds to me like the torque converter is "hunting"

The converter still locks up when NOT in OD, but dry taking the OD off with the button and see if it still hunts...

Todd Z

On the six speed I am not sure what gear is 1:1 or what gears are disabled, but the converter lock up occurs no mater what gear..

Todd Z

I agree with Todd. Either the torque converter is hunting or the OD is hunting. If it didnt do this before. I would get them to update the TCM again. It is not imposible that the program didnt install correctly. Computer glicth...

To All: This "surging" begins to occur right after the tranny shifts into 4th Gear at approx 32 MPH. And it keeps on doing it until approx 38 MPH (still in 4th Gear). It does it whether or not the OD is switched on or off. I even tried the cruise control and the engine still surges whether or not the cruise is on or off.

I've had the update performed on mine.

Understand that the process is fairly complex. The technician actually takes laptop diagnostic hardware on board while driving the vehicle for the "adaptive" programing. This includes driving at certain speeds, stopping and accelerating, so the transmission can learn.

Certainly possible that this update wasn't fully successful. While curing the bump, the programming could have glitched and caused another problem.

Luckily, mine went well (so far).

Return it to the dealer for another try.

Good luck.

Well it sounds like we all agree that it's a tranny problem and I have to agree that it started when they re-programmed the unit. Yes, it's going back in on Friday of this week.

I hope they can straighten it out because the vehicle has been a good one so far and...IT'S PAID FOR!!!!

It should be good for many more years if I can get over this hump.

Thanks, everyone, for your interest.

Finally got my ST back and have been driving it for a week or so without any problems.

I had dropped it off a few weeks ago on a Monday and the dealer ended up keeping it for nearly two weeks as I got it back late on the following Thursday.

As indicated in my earlier posts, I had several issues with the transmission including the 1-2 bump, a leak of apparently unknown origin etc. Then I started getting the "surge" or "hunt" or whatever you want to term it. Read my earlier post for a description.

I dropped it off on Monday.

Tuesday, it took the service department all day to finally duplicate the condition and finally realize what I had been trying to describe to them.

Wednesday, their tranny expert worked on it all day...could not make the condition go away.

Thursday, the dealership called the Ford Tech Line. Ford, of course, had never heard of such a problem. But following discussion between the dealership and the manufacturer, it was decided to change the torque converter. Dealership ordered torque converter.

Friday, the tranny expert, after pulling the transmission and torque converter, discovered the "internal wiring harness" to be loose and leaking all over the electrical connections. Ordered a new harness.

Monday, started reassembly.

Tuesday, following reinstallation of the new wiring harness, torque converter, and transmission, a technician discovered the rear u-joint to be "shot." According to the service advisor, you cannot replace the u-joint. Dealership ordered a whole new driveshaft assembly.

Wednesday, while waiting for the driveshaft assembly, dealership discovered the vehicle had been recalled! This was due to the problem some people have had being unable to shift out of park. Dealership took care of this repair. Dealership installed driveshaft.

Thursday, the dealership spent all day road testing the ST. Everything OK. I picked it up late afternoon.

So far, no problems.

So, I ended up, after three visits (one of which was nearly two weeks long), with a transmission re-program, a new pan gasket, a new torque converter, a new internal wiring harness, a new driveshaft, and a recall notice repair.

The bill was $2211 and change, all covered by warranty. Kudos to Ford.

Also, kudos to the dealership for keeping me informed of it's progress on a DAILY basis!

I learned a couple of things:

1. The vehicle owner CANNOT check the transmission fluid level. There is NO dipstick. You must go to the dealer to have it checked.

2. The u-joints cannot be replaced. You must replace the entire driveshaft assembly.

3. THe tranny has an "internal wiring harness."

So what was the real problem here? Not real sure if it was the harness or the torque converter. But it was definitely one or the other. I believe it was the harness.

Once again, kudos to Jon (the service manager), Roger (the service advisor), and Unknown Transmission Expert at Mike Bass Ford in Lorain, Ohio, for their excellent communications and for getting the repair done.

The vehicle owner CANNOT check the transmission fluid level. There is NO dipstick. You must go to the dealer to have it checked.

This is not totally true, there actually is a dipstick but you have to crawl under the truck to get to it. The 6 speed tranny has a small dipstick that can only be accessed from under thee truck. Someone did a detailed post (w/pictures) on this so you might do a search to try to find it.

I don't doubt what you're saying Lil Red, and thanks for correcting my statement.

But the owner's manual, on Page 308, says: "The automatic transmission does not have an underhood transmission fluid dipstick." And it goes on to say: "Transmission fluid should be checked and, if required, fluid should be added by an authorized dealer."

So that's the source of my confusion. Why doesn't Ford want the vehicle owner to check the tranny fluid?

Why doesn't Ford want the vehicle owner to check the tranny fluid?

That's a great question....and I can't think of a logical answer for it either. With this being the case (vehicle owner unable to check tranny fluid level) I would assume that if a consumer had a transmission issue that resulted from lack of fluid that the consumer could not be held liable for it.