2007 Comparo between ST and Avy

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Turner

Reaction score
Two staff members from cars.com tested them and appear to give very honest and unbiased opinions, which I think are dead on. The comparison is broken up into three sections and makes for an interesting read. Just click Next Post after you're done with the first and the second part should come shortly after.

Very good article. I have to agree on the front end review. I do like the new front end on the Avy better. I'm still surprised the ST doesn't get a "pass through" backend yet. There has to be some way they could put a pass though box to haul longer stuff. They could open up the area under the back window. Especially for the ones without the power down back window. But for me to give up that option, I would have to forgo the pass through box and get the powerdown backlight.;)

I'm still surprised the ST doesn't get a "pass through" backend yet.

I just can not understand what is so great about a midgate. It has a tendency to leak and will do nothing but to help get the interior dirty.

Tom

Tom, I'm saying that because EVERY person that asks me a question about the ST, asks "so what can you haul with such a short bed?". Even though when the tailgate is down, it's the same length as my Toyota bed was. It's not that I would need it, just surprised they wouldn't have tried that yet to give it another "sell point".;)

I hope the trac never gets the midgate..My bet is less than 5% use it..

I agree with caymen about the leaks and dirt...

It's not that I would need it, just surprised they wouldn't have tried that yet to give it another "sell point".

That is a good point. Adding a midgate is not a simple task. That stupid thing on the Avalanche is a support for the midgate. Add that support and the bed would look even smaller and unasable. The fact is, Ford sells as many Sport Trac's as they made. (2001 to 2005) I do not know about the 2007 Trac's sales, but as a new vehicle, they should be selling. An extra selling point may or may not help in this sitution.

Tom

You have to think about the cost to adding the midgate, too, as TRACKet Paul stated. I think that Ford has done a very good job of keeping the price of the 2007 right around the original price of the 01-05, despite the major performance, suspension, and interior upgrades that came along with the redesign. I know that I would hardly ever use a midgate feature. The bed extender works perfectly fine for me when I need to haul longer things.

I agree with all the points on the mid gate. I know though that it was one of the big points of the Avy when it came out. (in all the comercials) STCTC, I was also impressed how Ford kept the price of the ST around the same as previous models. (another selling point for me) I figured the price would go up since it's "redesigned".;)

The midgate is a gimmick from the word go. You dont buy a sut for a work truck expecting to haul full sheets of plywod inside the box with the gate closed. SUT's are for bringing the occasional TV , Washing machiene or mulch home on the weekends or bringing your bike to the beach. If you want a serious work truck then buy a full size and if you need expanded seating capicity the get a crew cab full size truck. Mid-gate , now that is a messed up morphidite of a truck idea.

The crapalanche is ony out-uglied by the ridgeline. They can put whatever they want under the hood and have a midgate and leather and bla bla...It's like polishing a turd.

Walter, while I do agree with you that most don't buy an SUT for a work truck, I don't think the Avalanche properly fits into the SUT category. Some of the features may overlap into the SUT section and then into the full size truck category, too. I think that's where the Chevy is unique. The ST is mid-size crew cab truck, but, the Avy is larger and probably closer to a full size truck. I think that's where the midgate comes into play. You can have a full sized bed, maybe even a little extra, but then when you don't need the hauling capacity, the back seat turns out plenty of room for passengers. Granted, you must compromise one or the other, but that feature is always there if you have to "haul full sheets of plywood inside the box with the gate closed" and then have to pick up some passengers. Just like the Sport Trac, you have the best of both worlds.