2007 discounting already in swing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Stern

Reaction score
Today's morning paper had the usual automotive adds. Was very surprised to see a 2007 XLT advertised with an MSRP of $27,525, less a $4,528 discount, for a sale price of $22,997. Ad listed Convenience Pkg, Pwr Moonroof, and Pwr Adj Pedals.

Seems like a lot of truck for the money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now thats what I paid for mine..., Is very tempting...

Todd Z

and this is why the Big 3 cannot get any respect.

if you make a decent product, you shouldnt have to dicsount it,

or at least wait until you have a glut of them.

Is that Ford discounts or dealer discounts? They say Honda and Toyota do not offer rebates, but local dealers are selling them for $4000 under MSRP. Is it the manufacturer or the dealer doing the dealing.

Tom

Go figure.

Between the meager marketing campaign, Job 1 jitters and late availability of the power rear window and unique colors, Ford set themselves up for a shaky introduction.

Rich,

Were those discounts from the dealer, or rebates from the factory???

I suspect they may be the dealer discounts on that one particular Sport Trac, to intice interested parties to come by the dealership and hope they can sell anything!

...Rich

Team Ford of Marietta, GA.

Don't know if those were dealer discounts or rebates.

Rich, yes, it's a teaser ad, but in a weak market, I've found it's pretty easy to get price matching if you don't fall prey to the dealer's standard Felix-the-cat-bag-of-tricks. All you need is the will to say "no, thanks."

Here's the dealer link:

Rich,

I agree, But some dealers have been known to offer a big discount on a specific vehicle in stock. Many times it has weird options or missing the more popular options, or the vehicle is a weird color that nobody likes, etc. So they offer the vehicle at a handsom discount to get rid of it, but you cannot a similar deal on similar vehicles in stock.

I know that in the late eighties Honda had a weird school bus yellow/orange color that ourl local dealer could hardly give away, but if the same vehicles was in any other color, especially white or silver, he could sell them for $1000 over MSRP! Yes, they were actually pricing the vehicles based on the paint color!

...Rich

Rich

The price is Invoice ,minus the $1500 rebate that Ford is offering.See what the dealer will show you for a Job 1 Sport Trac trade in. The dealers told me that the ST's have a low resale value and have been plaqued with problems! As a Job 1 owner I know about the problems but i do have a 2007 ordered. I am paying invoice for 2007 St !

Rich,

I checked the Ford website. Looks like the dealer is offering the discounts and not Ford.

All others...the dealer Theresa works at had a Ranger that was a blue color. The salesmen had a name for that blue. They called it "Homo Blue". They could not sell it! It was used and they ended up selling it for $2000 below book value. Vehicle colors make a big difference in the sale of a vehicle. Not every one wants an odd color. Colors like silver, white, black, and red sell themselves. The same goes for yellow, blue, and grey. Odd ball colors in the different shades of green and blue are sometime harder to sell. Some won't sell unless you find the perfect buyer with a price they can't walk away from.

Tom

wilukus,

The early model Sort Tracs are the ones with the worst reliability ratings according to Consumer reports. The 2003 and later models actually have an above average reliablity rating. But then dealers will always have an excuse to lower the price of your trade-in.

I worked at a dealership that had an answer for every low trade-in offer. The most common excuses are:

1. We only pay the wholesale price for trade-ins.

2. We only use a (specific) price guide that changes every month, Your value is outdated.

3. Yes, that is a good vehicle, however that color, or without certain options, it's hard to sell.

4. Those vehicles have a reliablity problem.

5. That price only applies to vehicels that require no cleaning or detailing and I can park it on the front row, right now, Your vehicle requires a lot of work to get it ready to sell.

6. I'm sorry but we have not had much luck selling that brand of vehicle here, so we can only buy at the wholesale price and sell it to another dealer. I doubt that we can make more than $50 off the sale of your vehicle.

7. Our used car appraiser is in a bad mood today. I'll talk to him and maybe I can get him to give you a couple of hundred more.

8. If I give you that much for your vehicle, I cannot give you those big discounts on the new vehicle.

9. Gee, Are you aware that your transmission is slipping, or your rear end is whining?? I'm afraid we cannot give you top dollar for a vehicle like that.

10. And the ever famous, but true: With all the discounts, rebates and financing deals on the New vehicles, it drives down the price of the used vehicles.

...Rich

Latest posts