2007 drivetrain clunks..

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

al alision 2

Reaction score
As I am not used to this particular option on my 2007 Trac, (traction control and auto 4x4), I notice that if I lose traction a small amount, or start out on a bit of an icy surface, there is a notable "clunk" when the auto 4x4? or traction control feature kicks in...

All my other 4x4s including my last Trac did not have this feature, and you were either "in" or "out"..

Is this "clunking/ engaging" normal for this type of option on this truck?

thanks everyone.

Ford says "normal" for mine. However, mine usually makes a very loud "BANG" and slams very harshly into 4WD. I hope it isn't tearing itself up, but that is what it sounds like when it goes in to 4WD.

Reading the manual it does say you could hear a bang or grinding noise which is normal. (Not worded exactly like that obviously) I found it was more proficient when I first bought my 07, now it is barely noticeable unless I am in reverse and it kicks in. Then I hear the "BANG". My only complaint is that its too sensitive (kicks in too easy).