2007 Ford Explorer sport trac transmission rebuild

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A67A4EF7-0118-4CFD-8089-7F165745ACB6.jpeg

Ok update I have completely cleaned and reassembled the transmission I have installed the superior shift kit also using bench buddies to polish all bores installed the rebuild kit and all new gaskets Put in all mew servos, pistons and bands and also tested and cleaned the solenoid pack.

All looks good now I’ve run into a couple of problems and will post below but overall my transmission rebuild is almost complete!!

Plus I love the bronze paint on it! And yes I used engine paint

BD009500-8A11-472B-B759-8D235556644F.jpeg

Ok so I’m replacing the drive shaft center support Bering cause the old one’s rubber was torn to pieces. And I have unscrewed the retaining bolt and can’t seem to pull out shaft you can see in the photos where I have scratched to paint trying to pry this thing apart. Any ideas to get this apart or am I missing something?

Also the broken bolt is part of the valve body it was the first on I tightened and I way over torqued it and snapped it right in half (I was an idiot and mixed up inch pounds vs foot pounds on the torque wrench) as soon I a broke the bolt I checked the valve body gasket and body itself for any bending or deformation and haven’t discovered any I seem to have gotten lucky. I take it since it was the very middle bolt in the valve body I was tightening, all the force was distributed pretty evenly so I hope that there is not issue with the valve body..

does anyone know where I could a be new valve body bolt? Cause I’m at a loss

Attachments

• 2810926B-4D61-4819-8C9C-503E34D762D8.jpeg
    2810926B-4D61-4819-8C9C-503E34D762D8.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 78
  • EE1E759A-8387-457C-BFEC-820F3BE41220.jpeg
    EE1E759A-8387-457C-BFEC-820F3BE41220.jpeg
    283.3 KB · Views: 75
I'd say the reason you are not getting much response to your tranny question is because most of us are 'too chicken' to attempt a tranny rebuild job. Personally, I admire anyone that attempts it even tho it is probably pretty straight forward once you get it out of the truck. My brother rebuilds them and he said the most important thing is to make sure you have a clean environment, room to work, and take pictures of everything you remove before and after. You are an inspiration and if I ever need a rebuild, I may just try it. Sorry that I am not much help on your questions.

Nice bronze\gold color; that's the prettiest tranny I've ever seen!

I would look for the part number for that bolt and call your nearest Ford dealer service department, they should be able to order it for you.

Great News! Ok got the transmission in. and ended up paying for a new drive shaft( Broke the u joints trying to get it apart) , got the bolt replaced and figured about a lot of the o rings are for the 4wd version and some other things that came with the shift kit.

haven’t tested transmission since the drive shaft hasn’t arrived and don’t want to risk the output shaft.

truck starts but runs weird sounds like its clogged or a small knocking coming for the trans/ exhaust area I took off the exhaust and straight piped it thinking the was the catalytic converters and just tested it today still sounds funky all I can think now is it either my muffler or the flywheel and torque converter or maybe I’m just going crazy

I would send a video of the sound but the forum doesn’t allow it I’ll see if I can post on YouTube and send a link if anyone would be interested in helping me Thank you

Did you use the alignment tools for the converter & pump?
Pumps was aligned using torque converter is was able to bolt the converter to the flex plate with no problems
I heard from
online that my flex plate bolts might be loose so I’ll try to fix that tomorrow and update in how that goes if not I’ll post a video on YouTube to show the sound

So how did this turn out?

All of the trans shops around here said the trans would be no less that 3900. I don’t know how someone could do that for 1500. You can take rebuilt or buy rebuilt for 1500?

Just put a used one in my wife's sporty, 3500.00 installed is a pretty good price rebuilt. had prices as high as 6500 for a Ford oem. so go from there. Used cost about 1500. or so for low mileage

At 205,000 miles on a 4.0 how much longer could this engine really go? I didn’t buy it yet because I’m afraid I’m about to hop into some expensive repairs. I have no real maintenance records

Just put a used one in my wife's sporty, 3500.00 installed is a pretty good price rebuilt. had prices as high as 6500 for a Ford oem. so go from there. Used cost about 1500. or so for low mileage
So total out the door, rebuilt trans ( say rebuilding your own) what would be good out the door? Second option buying used with install, out the door? Third, buying a rebuilt one out the door?

I got a used Sport Trac transmission in good shape with 85,000 miles on it from a salvage yard. Paid $1600 for it with installation and running great.

Latest posts