2007 Hesitation Update

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Barnes

Reaction score
This is a continuation of my earlier post (Yesterday)

Got my 2007 V8 4WD back tonight from the dealer after they installed TSB 07-18-08 and the hesitaion is gone. I will be driving it in the mountains back and forth to work over the next several days so I will update regarding gas mileage changes... currently averaging 20.5 MPG on my round trip.

Cool, Glad to hear it, Keep us updated..

Todd Z

I am driving between 7500 and 11000 feet. Commute through the Eisenhower Tunnel four dasy a week from east to west and back. I work at 9276 feet.

Today, after the TSB update yesterday, I drove up the Eisenhower grade from Silverthorn to the tunnel at 70 MPH and what looked like 3600 RPM. I stay in drive on the way up and turn off OD on the way down to avoid using the brakes. This grade ranges from 6 to 7% for about ten miles. My roundtrip mileage was 20.3 MPG. My roundtrip is 128 miles.

MountainTrac

That's a heck of a drive too, in the winters. Been there done that! :)

Good luck and glad you are back on Trac. ;)

I stay in drive on the way up and turn off OD on the way down to avoid using the brakes.

how long is this desent/decent (lol)? I would imagine that staying in OD would increase you gas mileage with the lower RPM's. Obviously you would have increased brake wear so I guess it's the lesser of the 2 evils.

Mountain Trac

Thanks for the info. I am driving at considerably lower altitudes 2000 to 7500.

Sure is nice to go from 110 in Phoenix to 80-85 up North.

Bill

Lil Red... The descent is ten miles from 11000 ft to about 8000 ft. Using brakes is not a safe alternative... I've seen alot of smoking cars and 18 wheelers that were either on fire or rolled due to loss of control from overheated brakes. If I were in OD I would probably hit speeds in excess of 100 MPH. OD off holds me at 70 MPH.