2007 Hesitation

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Barnes

Reaction score
My 2007 (June 2006) seems to have a hesitation issue when accelerating from a stop. It has 7K miles on it and has had the issue since new. It reminds me of the old accelerator pump hesitaion with Holley Carbs in the 70's. Is there a TSB that covers this?

Thanks!

MountainTrac

It's normal operation, actually.

There may be a TSB out for it, but I cannot recall, been a number of TSBs for the '07s, hard to keep them all straight.

Does the truck fall flat on its face and then take off or more of a slow take off....

The slow take off is due to the Drive By wire Ramp in. Your truck does not have a throttle cable any more. IT is all electrical throttle....

there are electrical devices such as computer flashers and different things to help cure it.

A dealer may have a flash for it, but I don't think there was a direct TSB associated with it..

Shoot the dealer a call and see what they think...

Keep us posted..

Todd Z

Mountain Trac, I have 07 v8 4wd delivered in May and was disappointed with the get up and go: gee I thought I have driven the v6 in my 98 Explorer and now stepping up 60 or so HP it should really move. Well I think the differential gearing is to high, no choice though, and the gearing isn't as close raito as I would like for a 6 speed and all that extra power is developed in the the high RPM range where you have enough engine noise that depending on what you are used to driving it sounds like your abusing the engine. The wife has a 06 Cadi CTS 6 cyl 5 speed automatic very responsive and quite at high RPM.

My fix through trial and error I have settled on the the time being a 91octane high preformance tune from Bama Chips which took the sluggishness out and magnaflow exhaust mostly because the stock exhaust sounded untruck,and unsport like.

Now pulling the mountains 6% grade out here in Arizona with a medium load overdrive off it down shifts once and settles in at 3500 RPM and about 75 MPH the noise coming from the under the hood and out the tail pipe is about the same and is a little noisey but can handle it for the ten minuate climb.

If there is alot of traffic passing and you can't maintain the steady 75 by having OD off the engine is still in a high enough RPM range to gave you some power when you have to back off the gas to let some slower guy pass and even slower person. Otherwise, the guy you just passed is on your tale when your truck upshifted 2 gears because you had let off the gas and is now dogging out; will then have to downshift 2 gears when you get a chance to pass.

The guys driving the fullsize turbo diesels dualies seem to have the biggest desire to show you how fast they can pull the hills; although last night coming home I was very impressed by a Lexus suv 470 He had the video on for the kids so you know the wife was in the car also and going down hill he kept it under 80 and up hill he was doing 75-80 quite and powerful!

I am waiting for Todd Z to put some fire breathing intake combo together for the v8ST like you see in the Mustang magazines.

Hope the info helps; I really like this web site and have found it very helpful.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed an improvement in take off after doing the 071308A update. (I think that's what it says on my invoice) and a huge difference when shifting from 1 - 2 - 2 -1.

Thanks for all the responses. Tiger, this is not normal... If it is, Ford will soon be facing thousands of lemon law suits.

Todd, the drive by wire thing may explain the problem... new technology usually comes with issues till the bugs get worked out. I also noticed that when going downhill with cruise control on that response time on acceleration is also iffy and sometimes slow.

Bill, I do like the V8 HP increase... I had an 02 and an 05 prior to this, and on 6% to 7% grades on I-70 here in Colorado, there is a lot of reserve power at 70 compared to the older Tracs.

I have it at the dealer today and hopefully, Ford can fix this stuff. I'll let you know what they say.

MountainTrac