2007 Limited transmission and 4x4 issues-Need advice plz!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjbags

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
2007 ST Limited. 158k miles, no service records for the last 30k, runs great, EXCEPT...

I test drove it for 2 hours before I bought it. Obd scan came up clean with no pendings. First day after purchase I opened it up on the freeway and it threw a cylinder 8 misfire with the CEL flashing for about 10 seconds, and had some shift hesitation (only when accelerating from around 40mph) that was less a single hesitation, more like a series of attempts to find the gear until I punched the pedal to the metal. After inspecting/cleaning out the plug bay and coil, the pending code cleared and it hasn't come back. I know that people suggest a full plug and coil refresh, and I'd be astounded if that fixed the following symptoms with the 4x4:

In 4x4 low, I was experiencing some loud metallic clunking at random times, and almost always when braking. I also noticed less than stellar performance in the mud on a flat surface. I put the rig up on 4 jack stands and put it in 4 low and recorded what was happening; pressing the gas the first time caused all 4 wheels to turn. Letting up and pressing the gas again, I heard some low clunking, right front tire stopped spinning, and I could see the engine shaking in an unnatural way. In 4 high, I could get it revving up with the same grinding/clunking/engine shake but much more pronounced as the rpms increased, and this time as I applied brakes, I heard what sounded like gears grinding from the front wheels or transfer case as the rpms came down and continuing until the wheels stopped. I left the car in gear and both 4 low and 4 high, the PTU did make some sounds like some solenoid was engaging and disengaging, along with what sounded like maybe a piece of metal was popping around inside.

Anyone else experience the 4x4 symptoms as described above? Where do I start with the troubleshooting? What information am I leaving out that would be helpful?

THANKS!

_Matthew

Last edited:
I have never had mine up on 4 jack stands, so I don't know what mine would do. But when in that configuration, I can't imagine what the ABS and clutch in the transfer case is trying to do. There is nothing to keep the wheels from traveling at the same speed, causing the wheel sensors to seen wild feedback to the computer. That may cause the ABS and traction control to do all sore of crazy things.
Maybe you're over thinking this. Maybe you just had a miss fire on #8, and you have corrected it by cleaning the plug? Just put it back on its feet and test drive now.

Did my research, and I found that was a pretty sound method to test the 4x4. Maybe those people were full of bs.. Regardless, the sounds and right front wheel disengaging (without the traction light blinking) happened before I put it up on the jack stands, and continue during a test yesterday.

The transmission issue seems to be separate from the 4x4 issue, and right now the transmission will be the priority.

I purchased an add on for my obd2 fusion app and neither the transmission nor 4x4 controllers are reporting a code. Hmm..

Latest posts