2007 Sport Trac 4wd

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris h 2

Reaction score
Hey all--

Some of you may remember that i posted last month for the first time and mentioned that i was having 4x4 issues with our new 07 ST 4x4. Well they have been addressed now(sort of) and i thought i'd take a minute to write about them, for therapeutic reasons if for no other :)

1--4x4 engages when it shouldn't: this was fixed by a computer flash to change how the 4x4 senses slip and what thresholds it uses

2--4x4 super loud when engaged, rough engaging: This issue was fixed by a transfer case flush whisper quiet now

3--4x4 engages when it should, but doesn't seem to ever shut off: Now things get ugly...

This is apparently by design. "They all do that"..

My poor dealer went round and round with ford and only after taking out *2* other brand new 07's could the mechanic believe what he was being told. Once it turns on automatically, it will not shut off until the vehicle comes to 100% complete stop--it will scale back to 30% but go no lower. So if it engages on a on ramp or toll gate, or just going along, and you then drive 2 or 3 hundred miles, you will do so with your transfer case at 30% duty until you come to a complete stop. Now, i live in Rochester NY and it is far from uncommon for a neighborhood street to be unplowed and messy and yet a primary road will be down to pavement, dry and near perfect. You can see the problem this puts me in. There is a work around to this problem. When it's in 4x4 and shouldn't be, i hit the "4x4 High" button then hit the "auto" button and the tcase releases and things return to normal, until I hit a tiny bit of water on the pavement, take off from a slushy spot, or otherwise have less than 100% traction. For all intents, this makes the ST damn near useless to me, as i now have to deal with the cantankerous 4x4 constantly fighting with me. Let's not even talk about gas mileage, drive line wear, towing, or tire wear! Or the fact that it drives like sh!t on hard pavement when it's in this "30%" state. I called ford about it and filed a complaint, but am not very hopeful of a solution. Should i not hear anything in a month or so, i will be faced with either having the program modified in the after market, or selling the trac all together. I plan to call ford weekly for a bit and see what happens. I also plan to report this to the NHTSA as a safety and design issue.

If there are any 07 owners out there that can re-verify for me that this happens in thier trucks, i'd be immensely grateful. My 07 is an early run, as are all the ones my dealer has in stock. I will try to get out to a couple other dealers and see as well if i can get some late model year trucks out for a drive.

--chris

I'd be interested in knowing more too. From what I can gather, our transfer cases are either "in" or "out"--there is no slip clutch or viscous coupling--just a mechanical engagement like all other part-time 4X4 cases. However, ours are controlled by the computer.

Don't know how a flush would quiet things down, unless your case was empty or maybe just filled with water. Wonder how much wear and damage you have from the noise? Did Ford say anything?

Do you know your build date? I have an early '07 too. No observed problems--but I do have the transfer case "SLAM" when it goes in 4WD.

Chris:

1)Mine doesn't engage when it shouldn't as best I can tell. How would I know...does a light come on in the dash?

2)Mine clunks but not super loud. I guess this is good.

3)When my 4WD kicks in while I'm in 4X4 auto, I can tell by the way it pulls but there is no light on the dash like when you push the button to put it in 4X4 high? How would you know it is running at the 30 % duty? I think this would really mess with the gas mileage if it stayed in 4WD until you stopped the ST. Does it say all this in the manual....I don't remember seeing this?

***Does anyone else experience a 1 - 2 shift that feels like you're letting off the gas pedal and then hitting it real quick during the shift? Mine seems to be getting worse but all the other shifts are smooth and seem normal to me. Any feedback/info?

Thanks,

Gary
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, if that is how it is supposed to work, that is one F-ed up system. Why the hell couldn't they just leave it the way it was in the Gen. 1 ST's? Rear wheel drive, then 4x4 when you wanted it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.:wacko:

I have no complaints with the 07 4wd system so far.

The 4wd kicks on when there is rear wheel slip. A light on the dash board shows the slip icon. There is a jolt that is normal with any 4wd I have ever owned.

Yes, the 07s have a 1-2 2-1 shift that is hard *sometimes*. Not that bad though. Correct me if I am wrong, but high shift pressures usually give a longer transmission life.

Gavin--

there apparently is a clutch pack of some sort involved. According to the mechanic who talked to the engineer at ford, they leave the tcase locked to prevent wear on the clutch pack constantly having to engage. I too thought it was just a electric motor driven ball ramp deal, guess not. I cant recall the build date of our ST, it was in spring sometime, and it is too new to have an ipod jack; if that helps. Apparently the flush helped as either the wrong fluid, or defective fluid got in it at the factory

Gary--

1--you'll feel additional vibration in the gas pedal, steering wheel, and maybe the floor. You'll also hear a "whirring" sound coming from under the truck(that's the tcase noise) mine was VERY apparent before the flush.

2--I think the engage of the drive could be smoother too, i've been in chevys that were so stealth you didn't even know the truck had 4x4

3--The 30% duty figure came from the tech at the dealer. He read some PID(whic as far as i can tell are some kind of fancy status codes) and said that he saw ramp-up and de-ramp activity that was *identical* across the 3 tracs he compared. Not close, identical. Neither the manual nor any of the marketing materials covers this behavior, and when you're in 4x4 auto, you will see no lights or indicators upon engagement

**sorry, ours does shift 1-2 butter smooth cold or hot.

Stonemiser--

you said it man. I forecast SERIOUS reliability issues over this. Keep the comments coming

--chris

Gavin--

yeah there is a way, there is a critter you have to buy that interfaces through the radio CAN bus and fools the head unit into thinking there is a sat receiver there. I've heard them, they sound great but are far from cheap. here is a link: http://www.installer.com/aux/ ***Note i am not affiliated with nor have ever done buis with this site. I have seen them on other car forum sites however being used by members. In truth when the weather warms up and the dash gets pliable again i wil probably just install a wired in fm-modulator. They sound good enough, and are comparatively cheap.

--chris