2007 ST V8 Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jared Strube

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I haven't been in for a while. Actually I haven't done much of anything outside of school for a while, but anyway, I just thought I would check in and ask a question I have been curious about for quite some time.

Is the '07 ST V8 the same as either the '05-'07 Mustang GT or the earlier body style Mustang GT 4.6? The reason I am wondering is that I saw an '07 ST again today and like it more and more. I was thinking... engine mods. If it is the same as either body style of 'stang V8, that would mean a pleathora of modifications would be available, including Roush or SVT superchargers. I am graduating soon (mechanical and electrical engineering degrees in 5 total years, woohoo) and will hopefully be making enough $$ to get an '08 ST (****that is only if I don't do something stupid like sell my soul for a Shelby GT500).

Thanks!

strube

Go for the Shelby ... keep it 30 years ... sell it ... retire early on the $$$$.

:)

It's the 4.6L 3 valve, which is in the Mustang (not the Cobra, which is a 4 valve). I haven't seen any supercharger yet except for an Eaton (which I wouldn't suggest to ANYONE). I'm on the fence on whether to try out the Kenne Bell though (would take some work, but could be done). I don't know if the drivetrain could handle all that though.

I had a little discussion with Saleen about their SC kit for the new Mustang GT's. They were non-commital about whether it would even fit the Sport Trac. I don't think they know very much at all about the ST. They were not even aware that it uses the same 3V heads as the Mustang. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the main difference between the engines is that the Mustang GT uses an aluminum block while the ST's is cast iron. There may be other differences such as intake and exhaust manifolds, cams, etc. I'm sure someone here knows all the specifics.

Hmmm, sounds more like the 2003-2004 3V Mach 1 motor, if I am not mistaken, than the 2005-2007 Mustang. I think it was an iron block, not sure though.

Uh, nope. The 4.6L Mach 1 engine was a 4-valve factory rated at 305 hp. It was basically the same engine as was used in the Mercury Marauder. According to www.mach1registry.com the block was aluminum.