2007 ST vs Ridgline

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William Ewing

Reaction score
Anyone compare the 2007 ST with Ridgeline

Was going to buy Ridgeline, but am now looking at ST

Like to hear both sides - should generate alot of discussion.

I am not trying to convince anyone to buy one or the other.

Just looking to buy the best value vehicle for my needs.

thanks

My friend has a Ridgeline and it suits him. I think it all depends on what the person needs it for.

Features I liked about his RL are:

- it drives like a car, but has the space of a mid-size truck

- it is very spacious on the inside

- I liked the hidden compartments in the bed and the placement of the cupholders

- I installed 2 10" JL/W3 under his rear bench and had no difficulties locating space. ( important to me being a stereo fanatic )

- the engine does provide enogh power for the daily driver looking to get to point B

Features I did not like:

- it is a front wheel drive truck. Horrible for towing.

- exterior styling is awful

- some parts of interior trim feel cheap

These are points from me, a person that does not need to go major 4x4ing or need to tow a boat. I am a daily driver that drives the freeway.

As for the 07 ST, I have not seen one in person but I would just buy an F-150 or an 05/06 ST

Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
I've looked at the Ridgeline as well. I do like the trunk in the bed. I prefer the design of the Tonneau cover on the ST. The ST design is stronger and essentially waterproof and it can be removed in about a minute with no tools. If you put the T-cover on the RL there is not as much room top to bottom. It's a tradeoff for incorporating the trunk. I could not fit the stuff I like to carry in a locked compartment in the RL trunk. I know I've just barely fit quite a few boxes and other junk into my ST, and they would not have fit into the RL with the T-cover installed. All in all, the design of the ST bed works better for me. Have not driven the RL yet, but the 07 ST rides and drives incredibly well, so I'd be surprised if the RL was much better. On the interior, there are things I like about each. No real standout there. I definitely prefer the look of the ST. I just can't seem to get past the front of the RL. The back has grown on me for the most part. Obviously the Honda reputation for quality and reliability is a plus. I'm not sure how much that reputation actually translates to real world experience though. (until one, or all, of the big 3 address this perception it does translate to resale value though). I have had no problems with my '02 ST and it has 68k on it. Tough to get better than that. I've owned three Hondas that were also good cars. It seems the RL has had some growing pains, but I'm sure those are being addressed. However, I looked at a new RL on the lot a couple of weeks ago and there was rust bubbling up above the right rear taillight. I pointed it out to the salesman. It's still sitting there. I guess somebody will get a rude surprise after they buy it. If that were a big 3 vehicle, people would be using it as a justification to say their quality is bad. But, since it's a Honda, someone will just say, no problem, Honda will take care of it. Perception is everything in the world of reliability and how problems are handled. Anyway, the '07 ST builds on the experience of the Explorer so they have had a chance to find and fix issues in areas that share design. Only time will tell if there are any growing pains for the '07 ST.

PRM, that was a nice "novice" ;) comparison of both, considering you did not drive the RL. I guess I just like the look of the ST, plus it has some better safety additions so I would lean to the ST. I don't buy into the "Best quality" of the imports as much as some people do, I don't knock them, I just like the domestics and see some of everything on the side of the road or being repaired. My 01 St was bought new and it was over 100,000 miles before the CEL ever came on, so I was not as disappointed as some were. I'm okay with the imports, I like some but don't relish or praise them as much as some people might. JMO! LOL

07 ST Advantages over 06 RL:

- Standard AdvanceTrac w/ RSC (RL has standard vehicle stability assist bue offers no sensing or protection in vehicle roll situations).

- Available Class IV (5K lbs and greater) trailer tow hitch - ST max towing capability is 6800. HL only offers Classs III (3501-5000 lbs) which is its limit.

- Standard SMC cargo bed - RL uses steel reinforced compound carbo bed, which could still be subject to many of the same drawbacks (dents, dings, rust, etc) as all-steel cargo boxes

- Carbo bed tie-downs and cargo bed power point - ST features a total of 10 cargo tiedowns inside or outside of the cargo bed and has a standard power point in the cargo bed. RL has 6 inside tie downs and does not offer a cargo bed area 12-volt power point.

- Intelligent Safety System - standard, it provides optimized crash protection thru a complex network of sensors and adaptive restraint components. The ISS is designed to meet ALL KNOWN governmental crash test req's thru 2010MY.

- Available 4.6L 3-valve SOHC V8 engine - RL nada.

- Available class-exclusive 6-speed automative overdrive - mated only to the optional 4.6L 3-valve SOHC V8.

- Available Control Trac Four-Wheel Drive System - CT provides a 2-speed transfer case which allows the drivfer to choose 4x4 auto control for set-and-forget sur-footed control but also provides option for 4x4 high or 4x4 low. RL features an automatic 4WD control but only a single-speed transfer case, not a 2-speed transfer case with torque multiplication...(so how effective can it be in serious off-road driving????? duh)

Also, base price is cheaper, length if longer, wheelbase longer, more legroom, more torque.

Take dat to de bank.....................................:cool:

R, R, R ..... way to go on those SAFETY POINTS, just as I said the ST has a lot more safety stuff enclosed or available to the buyer. TAKE THAT you rl lovers out there! Like I said, I ain't knocking the Mports, they have their good and bad too, BUT for me, it looks like another ST is in my future. AND I am willing to betcha that it will be a better truck from here on out!

Hmmm......Honda Real Lacking .. erI mean Honda Ridge Line:lol::huh:

And, you can get a 4x2 if you want with the Trac.

They are both ugly, so looks can't be used for consideration.

Tom

I don't consider the '07 ST ugly, just paint the grill to match the body color, or perhaps black powder coat it...

OTOH, the Ridgeline has always looked like the bastard child of a Crapalanche and a Pilot, IMHO.

It says in the article that Jeff Davis bought the first '07 ST in the country. That'd be a pretty cool thing to have braggin' rights for. Is he a member here yet?

But now at least a few people have seen and driven a new ST.

Latest posts