2007 Steering Vibration

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephen King

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

I'm getting a vibration in the steering wheel at about 100km. I've had the drive shaft replaced, wheel bearings, tie-rods and wheels balanced. My mechanic is at a lost. Any suggestions?

thanks

Steve

Thanks Guys, I'll check that out. I'm the 2nd owner and I don't think they have ever been replaced. So we talking about the front struts or all four?

Were the wheels turned with the engine off while doing the front end work? Very common to get air in the power steering system if the engine isn't running, although the shake

usually occurs at all speeds. Easy fix is driving slowly while turning the wheel lock to lock repeatedly until the air purges out. Easy enough to try, give it a shot and report back. GL

Last edited by a moderator:
Vibration in the steering wheel usually indicates something wrong with the front wheels or tires. Vibration in the seat of your pants usually indicates a problem with the rear wheels or tires.

A simple and quick check is to swap the front tires with the rear tires and see if the vibration moves from the front to the back.

Also, look at the wheel balancing weights on your tires. If you see more than 2 oz. or there are multiple weights mounted on the rims, you may have a defective tire or the heaviest side of the wheel is mounted close to the heaviest part of the tire. The simplest cure is to deflate the tire, break the bead and rotate the tire 180 degrees, then re-balance the tires.

Tires worn out of round, bent rims or defective tire treads or a damaged tire carcass can lead to vibration and problems balancing the tires.

Vibration problems at normal road speeds is almost always tire or wheel relatated. If you only get a vibration above 70 MPH, that is often caused by dented, bent or out of balance drive shafts. The smaller diameter of driveshafts requires a higher rotation speed before you can detect a vibration.

....Richard

Hey Guys,

Just an update...my mechanic shimmed the carrier bearing on the drive shaft down using washers and it seems to have solved the problem. Thanks for the input.

Steve

Latest posts