2007 XLT 4.0L Fan Removal

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delphi Guru

Reaction score
Hi All,
Great site. Great info here.
I'm working on replacing my radiator. I purchased the 36mm thin wrench needed to remove the fan.
My problem is, I can not stop the pulley from spinning when trying to break the nut loose.
I saw a video where someone used a HUGE pipe wrench to hold the pulley, but am looking
for another solution.
Does anyone know a good way to stop the pulley from spinning so I can remove the 36mm nut?
Thank you in advance

...way to stop the pulley from spinning so I can remove the 36mm nut?
~ Leave SerpentineBelt on,
~ Rachet+SquareDrive in the BeltTensioner with a long CheaterBar if needed,
~ Using Rachet tighten+hold the Belt with the BeltTensioner
~ Have buddy simultaneously loosen Fan+Clutch 36mm nut

If above doesn't work, don't like this idea as much, but seen videos of guys who've
drilled 2 holes in opposite sides of the WaterPump pulley, with the belt off,
then wedged a big screwdriver into one of those holes
to stop the pulley from turning while loosening the 36mm nut.

Put a little antisieze\vaseline on the 36mm threads to help the next time.

Yes, it worked...mostly... It was still slipping just a bit, so I created a wooden wedge and put between the belt and fan pulley, so it would pull into that gap and get tighter as I tapped the 36mm wrench. So, with your solution and my wooden wedge, it did the trick...
Thank you very much! I really appreciate you taking the time to provide a solution.

there is a 2 part tool that holds the pulley.... your missing the other half of the tool...…. OR wrap an old serpbelt around the pulley and over itself, then jam a large bar in the loop and against something solid.