2007 XLT

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calvertc27

Reaction score
Hey just got a 2007 sport trac 4.6 V8 With out 4x4 with 152000 miles. Seems like a great truck so far so if any one can direct me on things to do to these to fix rocker panels and performance mods and upgrades that'd be great. Also what are known issues with these trucks that I should watch out for or need to.

Hey just got a 2007 sport trac 4.6 V8 With out 4x4 with 152000 miles. Seems like a great truck so far so if any one can direct me on things to do to these to fix rocker panels and performance mods and upgrades that'd be great. Also what are known issues with these trucks that I should watch out for or need to.
Looking for the same here! Just picked up an '08 V8, 4x4, 120K miles. Mine came with the CarFax, and it was a private owner the first 60K miles, then a fleet vehicle for another 40K (had a transmission overhaul at about 78K), then has had three other title changes since. No accidents reported. I'm noticing some, for lack of a better term, for an automatic transmission, 'slipping' at about 45-50 MPH. It seems it doesn't know what to do at 45-50 MPH, whether to downshift, or stay in OD (I'm guessing - I'm used to manual transmissions, not alot of experience with autos for the last 30 years). I'm wondering if that's a known issue, or if, perhaps, bad bands (Is that the right terminology with autos) in that 2-3/3-4 shift)?

I ask, because the place I bought it from has a fairly decent warranty on drivetrain parts. They'll pay a fair bit to fix something like a tranny if it's going out. I just haven't driven an auto in so long, I know what it appears to be doing, what the symptoms are, but not the reasons. Any help/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated, especially while under warranty. Thanks! :)

Zabtech modded throttle body - they're hard to find so get one if you can.....IMO!

OLE442

Last edited:
I just recently did the Zabtek throttle body and one of the benefits seems to be better shifting and no more of that weird hesitation the OP mentions at 45/50mph or so. Not too hard to get, just PM Todd Z on the board here and have money and patience, 3 weeks later and a 15 minute install and you have a happy running truck.

Sounds like a great truck, congrats. Is this your first Sport Trac model?

Re: replacing rocker panels. Depending upon where the rust is, replacement can be anywhere from expensive to outrageous. I choose outrageous because the ST I purchased was a one-owner with 53K on it with the interior and body in fantastic condition (with the exception of the rockers. It was a WVA truck ie, snow, ice, salt). Had the frame and related items under the body inspected and all seemed structurally sound. I used a classic car resto shop because of their rep and I want the job done right because I knew I would keep the truck for a long time, maybe the rest of my life (75). Due to the location of most of the rust, which was a good part of both rockers, to included the rear cab corners, the shop recommended the fabricate the rockers as well as the cab corners. Rockers might (MIGHT) be found on the net but not the corners. Bottom line: $4K for the repair. The caveat here is that the moron who owned the truck before me had put a aftermarket hood scoop on the hood. Just a little TOO redneck for that truck and my taste. (The kicker is, it also had a color-matched spoiler on the rear that I really liked and it's still there!) I wanted the hood scoop gone and the body shop said the only way to properly match everything to factory would be to sand and block the hood and repaint. So that was part of the cost. If the truck is as nice as you say and you intend on getting your money's worth by keeping it, get it fixed properly and not some "we specialize in Bondo repairs" body shop. Nothing wrong with Bondo in certain applications. Rockers ain't one of them.

2008 ST 4x4. The rear spoiler looked like it "fit". So I kept that.

Attachments

• IMG_2284.JPG
    IMG_2284.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 37
Re: replacing rocker panels. Depending upon where the rust is, replacement can be anywhere from expensive to outrageous. I choose outrageous because the ST I purchased was a one-owner with 53K on it with the interior and body in fantastic condition (with the exception of the rockers. It was a WVA truck ie, snow, ice, salt). Had the frame and related items under the body inspected and all seemed structurally sound. I used a classic car resto shop because of their rep and I want the job done right because I knew I would keep the truck for a long time, maybe the rest of my life (75). Due to the location of most of the rust, which was a good part of both rockers, to included the rear cab corners, the shop recommended the fabricate the rockers as well as the cab corners. Rockers might (MIGHT) be found on the net but not the corners. Bottom line: $4K for the repair. The caveat here is that the moron who owned the truck before me had put a aftermarket hood scoop on the hood. Just a little TOO redneck for that truck and my taste. (The kicker is, it also had a color-matched spoiler on the rear that I really liked and it's still there!) I wanted the hood scoop gone and the body shop said the only way to properly match everything to factory would be to sand and block the hood and repaint. So that was part of the cost. If the truck is as nice as you say and you intend on getting your money's worth by keeping it, get it fixed properly and not some "we specialize in Bondo repairs" body shop. Nothing wrong with Bondo in certain applications. Rockers ain't one of them.
I have the same black cherry metallic 2007 Ltd. I searched for months to find it. One owner, always garaged, 4.6 V8, awd, all options and 150,000 miles. It doesn't leak a drop of anything and doesn't use any oil. I am tickled to death with this truck which will probably be my last vehicle at 70 years old.

Latest posts