2008 4.0 hard to start

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Hello new to this forum
2008 XLT 4.0 I have replaced the CPU and the wiring harness after heater valve breaking and some subsequent over heating issues. Currently the truck cranks without starting most of the time if I turn the ignition to on for a couple of minutes it minutes it will start maybe rough idle for a minute or 2 then it's ok. I have also replaced the fuel pressure sensor, PCV and Fuel Pump Driver module
Any ideas?

Miles on the vehicle+engine+trans?
Maintenance history?
OBD2 TroubleCodes?
Why was the CPU\PCM & Harness replaced?
Has the OverHeating issue been resolved? Blown HeadGasket or CrackedHead due to OverHeating?
How old is Coolant \ ThermoStat \ RadCap \ Radiator \ WaterPump ...?
How old are SparkPlugs+Wires+CoilPack & OxSensors?
How long since cleaning of the MAFSensor \ ThrottleBody \ IntakeManifold \ DPFE \ EGRValve ?
FuelFilter?
FuelPump?

Last edited:
Sorry for the late response
I did forget to mention I had tested the fuel pump and looked at out flow of gas from filter looked good I thought. Initial over heating started from heater valve breaking while riding down interstate coolant saturated pcm and various other connections, then radiator cracked more coolant all over everything. New harness proved to be a better way to go than randomly replacing connectors. Everything else you mentioned had been taken care of and over heating has not been an issue with new radiator and all other cooling components and thank goodness no apparent head damage however I do keep a very close eye on the oil and coolant.
After your message I decided to first change the fuel filter anyway and another $20 and about 20 minutes later it appears that was the culprit no more hard starts and mpg is up about 4 mpg city driving. Guess I was to focused that it had to be something else
Thank you very much it was very helpful to go back over everything

Some times its the simple things.....

Latest posts