2008 Sport Trac Limited

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

"Risky Bizness"

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Adrenalin
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
We bought our 2008 S/T on 7/30/2019 from the dealership that I worked at as a service writer.

It is a 2wd with a 4.0 engine.

It is Dark Cherry with the Camel colored leather interior.

We are the 3rd owners

When it went through the shop for inspection it got a oil and filter change, alignment check, wipers, new hood supports, 4 sway bar links, air filter, and a oil pan plug.

I requested the battery be replaced, with a MotorCraft battery, because it had a 2.5 year old Auto Zone battery. The dealership replaced it at no cost to me.

Since we have owned it, we:

1) Bought some original S/T floor mats from Todd here on this board
2) Put a locking hitch pin in for the hitch cover
3) Installed a VIPER remote start system
4) Had a new stereo system installed with back up A SONY XAV-AX1000 6.2 with car play and SXM
5) Had windows and front windshield tinted
6) Installed vent visors
7) Installed a chrome STAMPEDE bug shield

Repairs:

1) Had to have a EGR (Exhaust Valve) replaced
2) Replaced the serpentine belt
3) Replaced the harmonic balancer
4) Had the power steering system flushed and fluid replaced
5) Replaced the battery cable end

This is my wife's work truck. We love the truck. She just don't let me drive it too much. LOL

Will post pics later

Sounds awesome! :)

Who/what got you to replace the harmonic balancer? I'm sure it's the same that suggested you replace the belt. What/who suggested you do those two things?

Jeremy

A check engine light prompted the EGR valve replacement.

My wife said she thought the power steering was intermittent, so we started out by flushing the PS system, and the tech said he noticed the harmonic balancer was needing replacement. Once replaced all was well. Belt, and tensioner, and idler pulley was replaced as well at that time.

EGR Valve replacement was: $127.00 labor (1.5 hours)
Part # CX2102 $204.33

Harmonic Balancer repair:

Labor: $180.00 (2 hours)
8L2Z6B321C Crank pulley: $181.98
Fluid: $6.11

Remember. FORD parts have a 2 year warranty on parts and labor.

Last edited:
I'd probably pay someone $150'ish to replace the harmonic balancer (but, I'd replace it with a $250 part). You got a really good deal on that job, as that's is a major PITA on every vehicle I've ever messed with!

A check engine light prompted the EGR valve replacement.

My wife said she thought the power steering was intermittent, so we started out by flushing the PS system, and the tech said he noticed the harmonic balancer was needing replacement. Once replaced all was well. Belt, and tensioner, and idler pulley was replaced as well at that time.

EGR Valve replacement was: $127.00 labor (1.5 hours)
Part # CX2102 $204.33

Harmonic Balancer repair:

Labor: $180.00 (2 hours)
8L2Z6B321C Crank pulley: $181.98
Fluid: $6.11

Remember. FORD parts have a 2 year warranty on parts and labor.
I guarantee it took more than 2 hours to do that job, just knowing what all you have to do to get down to it.

I worked at the dealership that did the work, but I do not think that had any bearings on the amount of time that I was charged for. The tech clocked the time, and was paid accordingly.

"IF I was to do the job, it probably still wouldn't be done". LOL

Latest posts