2008 Trans problems with 40-60 shutter

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
2008 Sport Trac 4.6 V8 2WD. I have been trying to fix this problem for a while. Started getting a shutter in the driveline between 40-60 mph when in OD. If you take it out of OD, no shutter. Added trans additive to add more bite and it fixed the problem for a while until the shutter came back. Next changed all coil packs and plugs. No change. Next changed drive shaft (needed new one anyway because of worn u joints) and used a can of cleaner for the intake. Runs a lot better but still have the 40-60 shutter. The trans was checked and all pressures are good. I do not know where to go next on this. Anyone have experience with this problem?

Sounds like a bad torque converter. Have you tried disconnecting the Neg bat cable over night and let the trans re learn ?? But sadly if its trans related its the converter.

Yes
I have reset the system to re- learn and little change

Hows the fuel filter? Fuel pump driver? Air filter, Throttle body and tps?? All can cause trans issues.

Had the same problem with mine. Full tune-up INCLUDING new boots. My Mech said that is the most common mistake the v8 Ford owners make and the cheapest. He did an amazing job, no broke plugs but had 3 coil boots faulty. And don't forget a new fuel filter.

Last edited:

Latest posts