2010 Adreniline Exhaust 4.6

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I take the resonator off or leave it on?

• Total voters

Mark Connolly

Reaction score
Hello all. I need to replace my exhaust from the Y pipe back. I don't want to break the bank and don't want the neighbors to hear me coming and going. My current stock exhaust has two mufflers in line. I think one is a "resonator" and the other is a muffler.
Question is where can I order a close to stock set up for this and what parts do I need? will the mounting brackets be attached already or is welding required? Is there a website I can go to, look at a diagram and order the parts individual or can I order the whole thing?
Will taking off the resonator make the car really loud or not too bad? ( not looking for window rattling )
Finally I have my factory dual chrome tip thats welded on to the tail pipe. Do I cut that off and reuse it or do I need a new one? I think it got welded on during a repair a few years back.

Thanks ALL!!!

Mark,
I’m sure a reputable muffler shop in your area can hook you up by fabricating you a similar system to your oem one. I’m using the Borla XS-PRO muffler with out a resonator and it’s the sound of music tot the ears. Good luck.

I would highly recommend taking the resonator off as I replaced my system and others have removed that resonator. I get much better sound and power is noticeable. I believe removing that reduces back pressure but I'm no expert on that. I just know it sounds so much better and performs better. I went with one of the recommended muffler mods on this site and I went with a dual pipe end so it looks better.

Yup, it amazed me why Ford added that resonator as it had no value in my book. I love the low rumble even on my V6. Even the muffler shop installer said he thought it sounded great.

Dual in dual out Magna-flo mufflers are mellow. On the V8
V6 single in dual out magna-flow.

Latest posts