2010 ST with 2014 Explorer

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gil G

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Hello everyone. I own a 2010 ST Limited in California. I came across a 2014 Explorer for parts. My question is. Is, Are the Exhaust of the Explorer interchangeable with my ST? I'm in need of the Cats and after the exhaust manifolds its a one piece " Y " configuration. In California we're required to be CARB compliant as well as National.
Thanks for your help.
Gil.

not even close.

In California, CARB rules (California Air Resources Board) for replacing catalytic converters are a bit tricky. You may still be able to get the OEM part from Ford, but for my 2007 4.6L Limited the cat has been discontinued and is no longer available. There's a list of CARB-approved third-party catalytic converters for your particular year and engine size here:

https://ssl.arb.ca.gov/AftermarketParts/catalysts

Ignore the first few that have EO "Withdrawn", since they are no longer approved for use in CA after a certain date.

You have a couple of choices of products. "Direct Fit" are bolt-on parts that include the dual converters and connecting pipe, but because they replace both left and right banks and are designed to be direct replacements for the original parts, they are more expensive. "Universal" cats are sold singly for driver or passenger sides. (I think for our vehicles they are the same part on both sides, but not all makes and models of vehicles are symmetric this way.) These parts require cutting out the old cat and welding the new one into place, which can be done by most CA-approved muffler shops.

I needed to replace the driver-side catalytic converter, and ended up buying one off the CARB database list directly from the manufacturer at millercat.com for $900. My muffler shop says they'll install it for $250, which was the cheapest solution I could find. (Another shop had the same cats in stock but wanted $1800 per side installed.)

For those who live in states that only need to meet federal EPA guidelines, replacing a catalytic converter can be done much more easily and affordably.

In California, CARB rules (California Air Resources Board) for replacing catalytic converters are a bit tricky. You may still be able to get the OEM part from Ford, but for my 2007 4.6L Limited the cat has been discontinued and is no longer available. There's a list of CARB-approved third-party catalytic converters for your particular year and engine size here:

https://ssl.arb.ca.gov/AftermarketParts/catalysts

Ignore the first few that have EO "Withdrawn", since they are no longer approved for use in CA after a certain date.

You have a couple of choices of products. "Direct Fit" are bolt-on parts that include the dual converters and connecting pipe, but because they replace both left and right banks and are designed to be direct replacements for the original parts, they are more expensive. "Universal" cats are sold singly for driver or passenger sides. (I think for our vehicles they are the same part on both sides, but not all makes and models of vehicles are symmetric this way.) These parts require cutting out the old cat and welding the new one into place, which can be done by most CA-approved muffler shops.

I needed to replace the driver-side catalytic converter, and ended up buying one off the CARB database list directly from the manufacturer at millercat.com for $900. My muffler shop says they'll install it for $250, which was the cheapest solution I could find. (Another shop had the same cats in stock but wanted $1800 per side installed.)

For those who live in states that only need to meet federal EPA guidelines, replacing a catalytic converter can be done much more easily and affordably.
Thank you for the website I'll go on there and see what I can find. I did find Napa Auto sells each side individually. And the "Y " configuration but they want nearly 4K. Both Magna flo brand.

Latest posts