2nd and 3rd slip 5R55E Trans

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vegas Sporty

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Hey Guys;
Just wanted to update where I'm at with my 2nd and 3rd slip on my 2001 Sport trac. After receiving my diploma from this website and Youtube [LOL] I was going to do a filter and fluid change but got to thinking these 5R55E's have some built in issues about the 2nd and 3rd slipping. Because of having to drop the pan anyway I thought might as well because I'm in there to change out the value body. Well again with the help of this website and youtube I put the truck on ramps and dropped the pan and then the valve body. If your considering doing it what worked for me was to suck out as much as you can up top (I got 4 quarts) and the pan dropped without any spillage. The value body was a different issue all together. Like taking a shower in Trans fluid. Once off I could see definitely the valve body gasket was blown [see pics] Reinstall of rebuilt unit was a snap. Using the bolt references from other posts. Unfortunately the new oil filter was missing the o rings [2] so had to wait for them to send me the rings to install. It's all buttoned up now and drives like new again with no slipping issues. Interesting I did removed the negative battery cable during the job and was thinking it would erase all old shifting patterns however it did slip a little for a few blocks and I was thinking the valve body wasn't the issue but it did firm up and all is good. I'd say if you did a value body and yours is still slipping slightly give it a few miles and maybe the computer is relearning or some of the old gasket is being push through. Anyway thought I'd share something that worked for me.
IMG_0899.jpg

IMG_0912.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg

Good work, good result, excellent write up & pics!
Can you give any more details on the replacement ValveBody\Parts\Vendor that you used?
Your suction pump Make+Model? I use a HandPump & get only 1~2qts ATF thru DipStickTube.
Did you adjust the bands?

Last edited:
As you know when you start googling a product you get a flood of sellers. This guy I found on ebay which had very high remarks in satisfaction so I took a chance and everything looked good from the unpackaging to overall inspection before installing. He claims he does pressure testing on the valves and tests all solenoids. Also valve body valves and pistons are upgraded to newer type of replacement parts. As for the suction pump I got off of amazon. I needed one for my daughter Audi which was the first time using this type of oil changing technique. For my Sport Trac read somewhere here on another post to suck out as much on the top side which my year does have the trans dip stick up top. It did take several pumps to get it started but it began It filled up rather quickly once a vacuum was established. As far a adjusting the bands I didn't but will see how things progress in the next few months.
Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 8.30.34 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 8.31.28 AM.jpg

Thanks for that additional info on the fluid\oil pump & ValveBody.
If you got a good rebuilt ValveBody with new Solenoids+BondedGasket for $125, you got a deal.
Considering what additional items I should or should not do on my next 5r55e filter change.

Man if only it was that easy in my case I got 5r55s and flow control valve gave out and I wasn’t paying $3000 for a rebuilt tranny so I did the complete rebuild and put it in knowing to put the best and reliable parts in and turns out I misaligned the torque converter and fluid pump so I have to take it out and clean it up and possibly get a new converter but I hope it works when it’s back together

You're braver than I am to do a complete rebuild. Not that I haven't thought about it but my issue seems ok for now. I watch this guy on youtube "Precision Transmission". This guy can take a transmission apart in his sleep.I always think that if someone had to build it why can't I. I did seen a fluid and filter change for the 5R55E and I'd guess it would apply to all transmissions is that once pan is off and filter is off to re-torque all the valve body bolts to spec (90 in pds). Might prevent a blowout on the gasket. Again while your in there.....

Searching for correct torque for the Transmission pan I found this which is a shop manual copy for the 5R55E transmission. I'm getting some seepage on my floor in the mornings so I'm hoping this is my problem. After inspection I don't see it coming from anywhere in front of the pan or behind so seems to be coming from bolts on the pan. We'll see.... If anyone has found out the trick to getting an accurate reading off the dipstick let me know. This is ridiculous> I can't get a clear reading. Maybe if I paint the end white? LOL.

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 8.31.09 AM.png

Searching for correct torque for the Transmission pan I found this which is a shop manual copy for the 5R55E transmission. I'm getting some seepage on my floor in the mornings so I'm hoping this is my problem. After inspection I don't see it coming from anywhere in front of the pan or behind so seems to be coming from bolts on the pan. We'll see.... If anyone has found out the trick to getting an accurate reading off the dipstick let me know. This is ridiculous> I can't get a clear reading. Maybe if I paint the end white? LOL.

View attachment 2360
133 InchPounds = 15NewtonMeters is what have for the 5r55e Tranny Pan Flange Bolts,
though don't recall where I got that number; possibly from ATRA documents in the last 10yrs.

When I have trouble seeing the DipStick level for Tranny ATF or Engine Oil,
I'll wipe the stick clean, re-dip, lay it on a clean paper\shop towel, then note oil stain length next to stick.
May need to wipe, re-dip, & lay on towel 2~3 times to confirm.

I always flip the dipstick over and read that..... works every time

It’s done! I’ve successfully rebuilt my transmission runs like a champ! Oh man it’s been a works but after a break, some research, failed attempts, and a lot of help. The sucker drive like a dream!

I ended of seeking Professinal help from a shop and they ended up helping drill the bores out the servo the right way and I plunged and had them install it after I failed my second attempt to do it

there were some miner complications like the solenoid pack had to be replaced but that was no matter. the valve body now has a trans go shift kit and a lot of cleaning and checking if the parts were good was done more times I can count

but yes I can finally rest easy and I’ve had it working for about a mouth now and it’s runs great.

I also just changed the valve cover gaskets and spark plugs and so far looks like nothings leaking so even bettter!

Heck yeah!! It feels so good to have fixed such a burden! I thank everyone for their help and motivation cause just the. Fact you replied let me know I’m not doing this alone, and prevented me from scrapping the whole idea. Thanks to everyone! And I’ll see you guys on the road!

Attachments

• 5B12F76D-5F7A-4C77-AE52-20F4B6E4B78E.jpeg
    5B12F76D-5F7A-4C77-AE52-20F4B6E4B78E.jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 49

Latest posts