2nd to 3rd slip

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vegas Sporty

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
My transmission is beginning to develop a slip between 2nd and 3rd. Called local shop I know the owner and he gave me two options. Local rebuild R/R 1300.00 with a 12/1200 mile warranty. Other option was a Jasper Transmission for 4K and a 3yr/100,000 mile warranty. My Sport Trac is a 2001 two wheel drive with only 35,000 miles on it. Cosmetically its in very good condition and always garage kept. Wondering if a DIY replacement of the servo's would fix the problem or is something more is developing and or something broken in the tranny. Some time ago I was having a stalling issue and the only way to get it home was to restart and drop into drive around 3K RPM. I was doing some nice burnouts all the way home but I'm thinking I may have broken something inside. Any thoughts? I'm wishing it's just the servos dry and cracked as I've seen on youtube.

With only 35kMiles, I'd first try an ATF+Filter change, see if that helps the 2nd~3rdSlip.
After that I'd suspect the ValveBody Gasket is BlownOut+Leaking;
a rebuilt ValveBody with updated BondedGasket & new Solenoids is available from
CentralValveBody in Oklahoma for $200~$300.

correction first estimate was $2800.00 and 2nd was 4K.

Before I put $4K into a tranny for a $5K truck, I'd try the tranny gripping oil from Oreillys. I put that into a slipping tranny on my 93 F150 with 125K miles and it did wonders. But, just make sure you do not overfill. If it still slips, then you should start thinking about a new tranny or different truck. My 04 ST with 180K felt like it might be slipping a year ago, and I took it in for a filter and oil change. That took care of it.

Anyone know how many quarts on a pan drop and new filter on this vehicle? Vin# 1FMZU67E71UB57739 two wheel drive and part numbers for filter and gasket?
Thanks

The pics are missing from this. Maybe you can do it though.

This is best done when changing the trans. filter since you have to drop the pan. You don't have to do this but this gives you firmer shifts and no hesitation when shifting. My ST was being pretty lazy while shifting and Todd Z (thanks Todd) mentioned to do this and it does work.

Tools you will need are:

1. 13mm socket (trans. pan)
2. #15 torque bit and 1/4 socket wrench
3. Pretty much everything listed on my trans. filter change project

1. Do everything on the trans. filter change project to get the pan off.

2. Once you have the pan off you will see a set of connections on the driver's side of the trans. in front of the gear selector. The EPC valve is the one furthest back toward the rear of the vehicle.

3. Remove the plug by pulling it straight down. It will be tight but it will just pull off. There are no clamps.

4. The torque screw is on the inside between the connectors. (see pic)

epc1.jpg

5. Using the #15 torque bit and a 1/4 socket, turn the screw 1/4 turn clockwise (tighten). Anymore could be to much.

6. Put the plug back and finish with the trans. filter change

I'm looking at Ford parts website and it looks like Part#: 7G484 does that seem right?

Description for 01/31/2000 - 10/08/2001, Explorer Sport Trac, 5R44E/5R55E - 5 Speed Auto Trans

My truck has a manufacturing date of 08/00 with Vin# 1FMZU67E71UB57739

Anyone know how many quarts on a pan drop and new filter on this vehicle? Vin# 1FMZU67E71UB57739 two wheel drive and part numbers for filter and gasket?
Thanks
TrannyPan drop will change 6~7qt of the 10~11qt MerconV total in the 5r55e.
If you have the 2wd ShallowPan, you'll can use either the ShallowPanFilter Ford#?
or trim off the longer bottom suction tube on the DeepPanFilter as needed.

If you swap in an aftermarket 4wd DeepPan with a DrainBung+Plug,
Dorman# 265-831 or ATP# 103367 or ECCPP# e10365101cp,
recommended for slightly more ATF capacity & thus slightly better cooling,
you'll need the DeepPanFilter with the longer bottom suction tube
Ford# xL2z-7a098-da\ft-134 (should come with new ORings+Bolt)
& gasket Ford# f5tz-7a191-a or FelPro# tos18679 (works for either Shallow\DeepPan).

These are aftermarket Gasket+DeepPanFilter kits
ATP# b-156
PTC# f-154

Can handpump 1~2qts out of the DipTube first to lessen the mess
when you crack open the factory pan without a drain plug.
Can replace DrainPlug with a DrainValve Fumoto# f106n for easier servicing next time.
Google above part numbers for vendors+prices.
Hope this helps.

2001.Ford.ExST_Tran5r55e_ValveBody_0BRb.JPG

Last edited:
When I did mine, I also hand pumped as much fluid out of the dipstick tube first before dropping the pan. I probably sucked out three or four quarts. No mess that way. Although the tranny will drip some while the pan is off.

Latest posts