3 engine codes: 0172, 0175, 0455

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben beethe

Reaction score
I have 3 codes that are currently coming up on my 2002 ST.

P0172

P0175

P0455

Any ideas what the culprits are?

Last edited by a moderator:
P0172 System Too Rich (Bank 1)

P0175 System Too Rich (Bank 2)

P0455 Evap Emission Control System Leak Detected (Gross Leak/No Flow)

These are not normal codes as compared to most of the codes pulled.

Check out the infamous cracked elbow as these codes are within the same issue.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

P0455 - EVAP Control System Leak Detected (No Purge Flow or Large Leak) The PCM monitors the complete EVAP control system for no purge flow, the presence of a large fuel vapor leak or multiple small fuel vapor leaks. The system failure occurs when no purge flow (attributed to fuel vapor blockages or restrictions), a large fuel vapor leak or multiple fuel vapor leaks are detected by the EVAP running loss monitor test with the engine running (but not at idle). After-market EVAP hardware (such as fuel filler cap) non-conforming to required specifications

Disconnected or cracked fuel EVAP canister tube, EVAP canister purge outlet tube or EVAP return tube

EVAP canister purge valve stuck closed

Damaged EVAP canister

Damaged or missing fuel filler cap

Insufficient fuel filler cap installation

Loose fuel vapor hose/tube connections to EVAP system components

Blockages or restrictions in fuel vapor hoses/tubes (items also listed under disconnections or cracks)

Fuel vapor control valve tube assembly or fuel vapor vent valve assembly blocked

Canister vent (CV) solenoid stuck open

Mechanically inoperative fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor

Check for audible vacuum noise or significant fuel odor in the engine compartment or near the EVAP canister and fuel tank.

I checked and can't find a crack in the elbow. It could be on the under side of it, so I will cut the elbow off today and see if there is a crack in it.

I tried Todd Z's test by spraying throttle body cleaner on the hoses but I didn't notice the engine rev up or sputter. Does that indicate there is no air leaks?

There was a recall of early model Sport Tracs at the begining of 2004 for an loos evap cnister hose. The problem was the hose was a bit too short and Ford's cure was to add a short elbow and plastic tube. If the evap canister line had fallen off, they were supposed to replace the evap canister since it would have picked up road debris.

Than may be your problem. The cracked elbow on the engine usually only caused "Lean Left Bank & Lean Right Bank " error codes.

...Rich

Ford doesn't like to call them a recall, rather a Field Service Action... :rolleyes:

The FSA for the evap hose was 03E05...

Your dealer should be able to run an OASIS to see if your '02 has had the procedure done or not...

EDIT: If you want to inspect it yourself the evap hose is the small hose next to your fuel filler pipe. You can see it in the driver's rear wheel well opening. It should have a plastic elbow on it that is attached to the wheel well liner. IF it is detached you can ruin the evap canister too. The recall basically cuts a half inch off this hose and installs a new plastic elbow which secures the hose better, and the tech tie wraps it to the filler neck...

HTH...

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the full list of FSAs for the '02:

Field Service Actions (Recalls)

2002 EXPLORER SPORT TRAC - US (English)

02M01

Customer Satisfaction Program - Certain vehicles equipped with a tube-mounted EGR Pressure Sensor - Additional EGR Pressure Sensor Warranty Coverage

Published 06/29/2004

03E05

Emissions Recall - Certain 2002 and 2003 MY Explorer Sport Trac Vehicles Evaporative Emissions Canister Fresh Air Inlet Hose Connector Replacement

Published 01/16/2004

03S04

Safety Recall - Certain 1998-2002 Model Year Explorer and Mountaineer Vehicles With High Back Seats - Driver Seat Recliner Bolt

Published 04/03/2006

I took my ST to my local Ford dealer. It was rather cool.

I watched as they sent smoke thru my vacuum lines. I could see where it was leaking.

It was leaking around the evap cannister. Once that is fixed it should take care of my 0455 code.

Then they are going to tackle the 0172 and 0175 codes tomorrow.