36 degrees in DFW and the ST wont stay on

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So for the past 2 years, periodically (appx 1once every 6 mos), the ST wont catch on start, but with a little gas and quick shift in to gear I have always been able to convince it to keep going. Well for some reason the magic ran out today.

Not sure if its the cold or what, but despite my little trick and some some iso-heat added to the gas tank I just can keep her on.

Anyone have any thoughts? I can hear the fuel pump come on, but my 1st thought is that it has gone out. ST is an 01 with 80k. Have changed fuel filter (appx 10k miles ago) but never the pump. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Well about 4 years ago the ST quit like this and I did clean the IAC.

Only difference then was that it was having trouble catching nearly every day. This go around it has worked fine for months ... we had it out for a couple of hours last night looking at Christmas lights with no porblems. But a cold front blew in and this happens. Just seemed like to much coincdedence ...

Regardless ... the IAC is a good guess and way cheaper for me to try b4 taking in to Ford. Thanks for the feedback.

If anyone has any other ideas I am all ears. Otherwise I will post after trying the cleaning and let ya'll know the results.

Are you a Job1 or job 2 ???

If Job 1 you could have the intake gaskets failing.....

Todd Z

Ohh sorry missed the part about you cleaning the IAC..... Then you have a Job 2 Motor...

Forget my post then..

Todd Z

Ohh sorry missed the part about you cleaning the IAC..... Then you have a Job 2 Motor...

What does that mean? Does it mean the Job 1 does not have an IAC valve. If so, I assure you that it does.

I will ask my question one more time. If you ignore it again, I can not help you any further.

Which side is your oil FILLER on?

Tom

Tom,

If he followed the project that was done on a Job 2 motor....

I guess though he would not figure it out and if a job 1 probably found the IAC on the back side for the job 1...

And thank you, But I know dam well that the job 1 motor has an IAC valve...

Todd Z