3V Sparkplugs?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave S 3

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new truck to replace my ranger and I have been reading about the issues ford has with spark plugs in the 3V 5.4 v8's. Are the heads on our 3v 4.6's going to have the same issuses seeing as we use the same plugs? I like my 07 Trac but if I'm going to have to change the plugs every 30,000 miles just so I don't break one I'm getting rid of this thing when the lease is up.

They're fine.

If you can afford it, upgrade to the Brisk silver racking plugs, though. They're gappable.

I've been reading and champion is coming out with a one piece platinum plug. I've seen lots of complaints about the Brisk plugs.

What about the new Autolite XP Xtreme Performance spark plugs?

(from the Auotlite web site)

These spark plugs are one of the brand’s most technologically advanced spark plugs ever. With an iridium-enhanced .6 mm finewire design and patented platinum sidewire technology, these spark plugs provide better durability and a more focused ignition for better overall ignitability and optimum performance.

FYI - the 5.4 L plug issue has been resolved in vehicles built after Oct. 2007.

Just curious but how has Ford resolved this isssue on vehicles built after 10/07. The only thing that I can think of is that they redesigned the cylinder head and or spark plug. Until they do either one of these they will continue to have these problems, and yes I have had to remove broken plugs from the 4.6 3v motor as well.

L1TECH - I read that the made the "holes" around the plug end larger so that the carbon build-up issue has be relieved it has also been said that the plugs are a bit different. No one has pulled one apart yet to see what the changes are. In addition Champion is coming out with new one-piece design plugs that are not crimped like the autolite plugs. (the autolites break off at the crimp)

Update: the plugs are still the same as used previous, just the head was changed.