4.0 engines

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric S

Reaction score
Are the 4.0 v6 engines and drivetrain in the 02-05 Explorers the same as the 01-05 Tracs? The reason why I'm asking is my 01 is getting up there in mileage and i'm not ready to give her up. I was looking into getting a 4.0 with less mileage to replace it and i seen a couple 02 and 03's with under 50k miles. Are these engines the same?

thanks

eric s

The basic shell is the same, But the explorer has different intake and small other stuff like sensors and stuff...

Could try to find a Ranger, thats an equal swap.

Todd Z

How many miles are on your Trac? We have 155,327 miles on our 2000 Explorer and it runs great.

Unless you are having engine problems, i.e. MAJOR oil leaks, bad compression, severe oil consumption, low power, leave it be.

Tom

Tom

I have 145K. It doesn't have any major problems, but i wanted to do a mild build up on my engine. but since my Trac is my daily driver, i was trying to see if i could get a 4.0 donor and work on it at my leisure. with the help of my mechanic friends of course.

eric s