4.0 Stang Headers?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Putting together an exhaust for my trac, and from what i've been reading headers have no performance gains on the trac, the only change is in the tone of the exhaust. So it's not worth

buying the $300-$400 jba headers, but the $100 4.0 stang headers would be worth it to me... if they work. I have not been able to find anyone that has tried this yet, or atleast that has written about trying it. Any reason why this would not work (besides the egr port on the backside of the pipe which can be remedied with a few parts from any home improvement store)? Would be most interested in hearing from someone who has actually tried it.

Have you compared where they dump at. They may not clear. If they do, you may need a custom y-pipe made.

edit; I wouldnt waste any $$$ or time on them for the trac. As you read no gain. The sound wont change enough either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stang headers will not fit the trac.... The way they are routed will not work.....and rigging some thing like the egr and other things on these motors can be a problem, the flow and things can mess with the computer and the way the engine performs...

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your reply Todd, have had my cai for a couple months now and love it. so now i'm looking to get the air out, i can't use the random tech's stuff though cause it's not legal here in PA, cant get rid of the "pre cats" cause there considered cats and must keep the same amount on as stock. so i'm doing my own full exhaust. 2.25" Y with high flow cats, 2.5 mid with high flow cats, flowmaster 40 with dual 2.25 out. So my understanding from what i've gathered from your scattered posts on a bunch of sites is if you where to do it again you wouldn't waist the money on the headers? or has that changed/am i misunderstanding?

IMO, I think the 4.0 with stock heads and cams. Loose too much backpressure with headers. Also I dont see any serious bottle neck in the stock manifolds. That may be why no gain.

Matthew, does PA actually look for the pre-cats? In TX we can only eliminate the pre-cats if they go bad. I have removed them from my last 3 cars including the trac. I have never had them to look for them.