4.0 tuner dyno results

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott degroot

Reaction score
I love this ST, for me it is the perfect all around vehicle. My only regret is not buying the 4.6. I was contemplating on buying a new one with the 4.6 being that I can get some smoking deals right now on a left over 08 but the wife has talked me out of it adn figures that right now is not the time to be spending the cash....she is right. So I am thinking about a few upgrades to the 4.0 and a tuner comes to mind. What I haven't seen is any posted numbers on hp/tq gains that these tuners put out and under what conditions...this is my only hold back on getting one. I am the kind of person that needs facts and just a bunch of people saying yeah I feel a difference is not quite good enough for me. So does anybody have any links to any posted numbers on a Gen 2 4.0????

With the traction control No one has dynoed a Tuner or any 07 or 08 For that matter...

On the gen 1 at the NY dyno day we netted 10-15 RWHP on a non tuned ST with flashing it..

We did not drive it around or any thing,, Did 1 pull and then flashed then the next...

Since your the same drive train, I would say thats whats to be expected..

Todd Z

on an 03 you can expect the following:

With exhaust upgrades, with a Y-Pipe, with a UD pulley, with a zabteck TB, with an open intake, with an E-fan, with an open intake, with an SCT flasher

209 RWHP 240 TQ thats it. is no more with bolt ons.

cost vs. results.

is it worth it ?

imo,

on my ex 07 v-8, i got an a zabtek tb and magnaflow cat back.

no neck snapping improvement but i felt the tb was a noticeable difference.

i would go for the tb, exhaust and an intake. after that not worth the $$$$.

rodg & georgia,

on my 04 adren i had a mag cat back and cai. noticed nothing.

i didn't do the xcal because i didn't think it would make that much of a diff.

did you notice that much of an increase of power with the xcal?

also how much are they?

just curious

From my 04 Adrenalin, I first upgraded to the TB and noticed some difference in response. Then I upgraded to the C & L MAF and MAC CAI, and noticed more increase. I then added Screamin' Demon coil, new plugs and wires. I guess that helped in some sort of way. Next I added the Random Technology CAT & Y-Pipe with Magna-Flow exhaust and I noticed more pickup and acceleration. But a lot less MPG. Lastly I picked up a SCT XCAL3 and it just made everything 10x more better. Better response, shifting and better MPG.

i dynoed after each major mod, been on the dyno 4 times.

Your butt dynos meen nothing, get some real numbers, thats all that counts.

l1,

It was a X auto and I believe it had only an exhaust........

As for the 04 Gary had, (which I now own) I added a MAF and Xcal..... Since I ran the 87 tune the truck increased in throttle response and HP... BUT the truck has large tires on it, So the dyno numbers are not correct..... But I gained 8-9 RWHP with the xcal on that truck with the intake and exhaust on a 87 tune

Todd Z

With dyno tuning I gained 12 RWHP and and 14 RWTQ, over and above what the tune already gave me. For 170 and 199, with a 91 torque tune, and "most" bolt ons. Thats also through 285/75/16 mud tires though.

Mr Rugby

Explain your dyno tuning proceure to me. You obviously took it to a place where they can write the files right on the spot...correct. I have the ST at work today and am gonna see if I have the time to get it on the dyno and see if I can figure out how to disable the traction control so that it can be dynoed. If nothing else I wonder if running a quick jumper wire between the front and rear wheel speed sensors would be enough to make the pcm think that all the wheels were at the same speed????

L1, I believe this post has the information you are looking for (how to disable traction control)

I was thinking that disabling the abs would overcome this but after very recent posts about people not being able to dyno an 07 up due to this factor I assumed that this had been tried.

Mine is a Gen one, and it was at louisville, Doug from Bama chips brought his rolling dyno and since he also sold me the x cal he was more than happy to tweak it for me. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.