4.8 V8 in Ford 500

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anupam Routh

Reaction score
Greetings! I was wondering whether 4.8 V8 engine as found in Crown Victoria will fit in 1997 Ford 500 /Taurus car. I used to have a Mercury version of Crown Vic. I was very impressed with that car. I bought two other vehicles with the same engine - 1997 Ford 150 for my son and 1999 Ford Expedition for my wife. With thanks.

it is a 4.6 (fyi) and i highly doubt it would fit. motor mounts would be off that motor is designed to run longitudinal, not transverse like in the taurus/500

Ford is downsizing there engines so if anything look for direct injection turbo V6's to replace low end V8's.

Greetings! I was wondering whether 4.8 V8 engine as found in Crown Victoria will fit in 1997 Ford 500 /Taurus car. I used to have a Mercury version of Crown Vic. I was very impressed with that car. I bought two other vehicles with the same engine - 1997 Ford 150 for my son and 1999 Ford Expedition for my wife. With thanks.

Anything can be done if you want to do it badly enough, but you would have to want to do this VERY badly to make it work! it would require a major rework of the car to fit the engine in and make it work. If you paid a shop to do this, it would cost more than an entirely new car to make the changes required.

My personal one-word answer for this would have to be - no.

Keep in mind the 500 is a FWD whereas most that use the 4.6(including the Crown) are RWD. Just another hurdle to keep in mind.

It can be done...

Ford Five Hundred GT-R, aka Franken-Five Hundred

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep in mind the 500 is a FWD whereas most that use the 4.6(including the Crown) are RWD. Just another hurdle to keep in mind.

FWIW, the Lincoln Continental was FWD AND had a 4.6L engine under the hood. It is possible to put a 4.6L from a Continental into a 500, but why would you?

Tom

I think Tom is right. The Continental from that same time frame was basically a stretched Taurus so theoretically it could probably be done. If you want a high performance Taurus why not find a nice used SHO?

Latest posts