4 low

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Maguire

Reaction score
hey everyone i was just curious if anyone can help me. i have an 03 XLT 4x4 with 99,357 miles and just today i realized i wanted to see how my 4x4 was doing. the 4 high works light came on and engaged quickly. However 4 low the light didnt come on didnt engage and didnt do anything. winter is rolling around and i would like to get it checked before anything happens. any comments and suggestions as to what it may be would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Guys

To engage 4-Low you must be at a complete stop, shift into Neutral, foot on the brake, and wait a few seconds.

JohnnyO nailed it. If it still doesn't engage it could be either the dash switch or more commonly the electric shift solenoid on the side of the transfer case.

I remember a while back someone on this Board saying, the 4X4 T/C needs to be exercised.

I found this to be one of the greatest points I've taken away from this group.

You really need to work the system every so often. I was always pretty good at engaging 4-High about once a month or so in my '05 until one day I tried 4-Low and I had a hard time getting it to go. When it did engage it was loud and made a banging sound. I've now started engaging the 4-Low every other time when I go into 4-High. When it goes in now you could hear a pin drop it's so quiet. Without being used the system seems to freeze up. If your lucky you might get it back with some patience. But after that you have to use it once and a while.

blac trac is correct. While you shouldn't lock it in 4wd on dry pavement, about once a month I will shift into 4-Hi or 4-Lo after I turn the corner to my street then drive down the block (it's straight) and switch it off when I get to my house. Going straight on dry pavement for a short while won't hurt anything.

My daughter took my 2001 4x4 out last night and put it in low to get out of some snowy drive way. She drove it home in 4 low because she said she couldn't get the dash switch to work. Finally read this site and was reminded to step on the brake in neutral to switch back to 2wd. It worked; thanks ST web site!! Did she do damage to the transmission driving it home (10 miles) in low? she said she got it up to 6000 rpms.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts