4-Way Electrical plug-in on Hitch

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Chase

Reaction score
The 4-way plug on my Trac has gotten really corroded and I can't clean it out good enough to get my trailer lights to work properly. I've tried 2 trailers that work on my Dad's Escape, but I can't get my left turn arrow to work, All other lights work, brakes and running lights and the right side has no issues. My question is Can I just cut the female plug end that is on the trac and splice in a new one? Or do I need to go farther back?

That would depend on whether or not the problem is really just corroded contacts.

I would pierce the wire insulation just before the plug with a trouble light (or meter) to see if the voltage is getting all the way to the plug. If the voltage is there, then splicing right there should work. If no voltage, you will need to troubleshoot the line back to where you are losing it.

Don't forget to check the fuses. I think they're 3, 7 and 15 for the trailer lights, but it would be in your owner's manual. Went 6 months without night driving lights on the wave runner trailer before I caught it was just the fuse.

If you do not have a blown fuse, or damaged wires, you should be able to cut the old connector off and splice in a new one. To prevent future damage, get a plug with a cover, and pack the connector with dielectric grease to prevent corrosion.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't clean it out good enough to get my trailer lights to work properly.

Have you tried electical contact cleaner? I tried wire brushing, sand paper, etc, and nothing really worked until I sprayed it several times with the cleaner. My problem was solved at that point...

Thanks guys, I'll try the cleaner and double check the fuses. I've tried cleaning and scraping it out a few times with some various items and it hasn't worked the last 2 times.

Latest posts