4low

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun Tucker

Reaction score
Im a bit of a 4x4 noob (i admit) and this is my first year with 4x4 in the snow. Yesterday i tried to put my truck into 4low but the light never engaged. I know 4high works, I've been using it pretty regularly with no problems what-so-ever. Can someone tell me if I've done something wrong?

heres what I did:

put truck into neutral, switched to 4 low, put truck into 1, no light switch (waited about 5 -7 seconds) press gas - CLUNK - stop, recoiled with horror - put truck back into neutral, switched to 4 high, put truck in drive, and gunned it out of the snow jam..

st

You have to go into 4WD High First...

Then

Stop the truck

Foot on brake

Truck in Neutral

Switch to 4Low

Waite for it to switch.

Place in Drive

Then DONT go over 30-40 MPH

4LOW is designed to get through Mud or pull, it is not meant to cruise around in..

Reverse procedure to get out of 4LOW...

you have to go back into 4High first

Todd Z

Todd Z

Put truck into neutral, switch to 4 lo, and press the brake pedal. I think this is what I do.. It tells you how in the manual also.

Chad

Yea I realize I could've just checked the manual, but I like to make these guys have to do their jobs once in a while ;)

Thanks Todd, I know that 4 low should never be used over 20kph or so. Does the truck need to be in '1' or '2' or can you just use 'Drive?'

Regular Drive....

You will not go over 5MPH if you use 1

Todd Z