4wd module not engaging?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Szkutak

Reaction score
Well, amongst the other electrical problems im currently having, now the electronical 4wd wont turn on...i took it to an auto electric shop and i got an estimate for about 500 bucks including labor to fix all my electrical problems(4wd, overhead council, dash lights) The guy said it might not be an electrical problem with the 4wd but rather a blown 4x4 module...this ruined my weekend because im supposed to be down in allegheney mountains goin up some trails and showin my friends colorado how to dig lol....but not in 2wd, i wont even make it to the trailhead....any ideas for the drivetrain?

Thanks

Andy

Andy what exactly are you asking??? If your thinking about any way to get the truck in 4wd and make it stay so you can go off roading.. I say BAD mistake....

Get this thing fixed.... It only sounds like it is getting worse and worse....

Get the charging system tested, Not just a volt meter, Get the battery load tested..

Do you have an aftermarket computer chip??? That could be it.

I would not take any chances driving that thing off road with the electrical issues your having...

Todd Z

I'm having a similar problem with my 4wd, as the 4wd won't engage 100% of the time. The module needs to be replaced, and they're @ $100 from Ford. I spent most of Thursday trying to get the 4wd to engage, only to have it engage later Thursday evening. The dashboard switch has already been replaced...

Kerry,

It is also not uncommon for the 4wd motor to be bad also...

Todd Z

If you are having a lot of electrical problems, try readjusting the tilt of the steering wheel. The wiring harnesses on the STs are slightly too short, and adjusting the tilt will sometimes correct the problem. :blink:

Todd,

The 4wd WILL engage, it's just that sometimes it takes FOREVER if not longer for it to do so! The module is the next step in finding the problem, AND it's cheaper than a new motor!

I need to take care of it before the snow flies, because then I can't wait for it to decide if it wants to work. At least I was able to enjoy the last of the nice weather and get up on top of the mountain before winter!

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator: