4WD PROBLEM (STILL)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Towey

Reaction score
2002 Sport Trac was stuck in 4WD. Problem was thought to be the control module under right kick panel. I purchased a NEW 4WD module and installed it. It works intermittently. When it works, lights on dash correspond to selector setting on dash switch. Vehicle is now stuck in 4WD. Lights on dash do not light up to indicate vehicle is in 2WD,4W High, or 4W Low. These lights DO NOT APPEAR when key is turned on as they used to do before starting engine. I went under vehicle and tapped on motor attached to transfer case, with no different results. All fuses are good. I went thru switching from 2WD to 4WH to 4WL and back again. I tried this in Park and Neutral with foot on and off brake. I tried backing up also with no luck. Does the new module have to be synched with the vehicle some how? Anybody have any ideas?

The new module is plug and play.......

Maybe there is a wiring issue, bad motor on the T-case or the new module you got is a bad one from new...

Todd Z

IT can be removed and you should be able to run the motor and see if it is working.... But with no load on the motor it may appear it is working correctly.....

Wish you were closer.... we could have tested the parts on my trucks here...

Todd Z

A local suggested disconnecting battery for a period to reset everything. Is this a possibility? Turning truck off and then back on seemes to get it to work properly sometimes.

Resetting things is a good thing, But as soon as you turn it back into 4wd H it acts up ?? Then resetting it will do nothing....

The lights on the dash are lit by the module when it is told the motor is on the right position...

It may be a motor issue or that new module is bad...

Does it do the same thing with the old module??

Todd Z

Sounds like something to do with the motor on the T-case......

I would gladly test the modules for you here if you wanted to send them to me...

Todd Z

I will first take motor off, clean, replace and test again. Thanks for your help. I will be in touch to let you know the outcome.

No problem, Maybe some one else can chime in with other ideas..

Todd Z