4WD Switch

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Mason

Reaction score
I am chasing down the reason that my 4WD does not engage on my 2002. I'm pretty sure I got a bad remanufactured module from the parts store. While I was chasing down the wiring I happened to pull the dash switch. I have 2 questions: Does anyone know the voltage readings that should come out of the 4 wires? Also, I noticed there is a port on the back of the switch for the dash lights, but I cannot find a pigtail behind the dash to plug into it? It does not light up like the rest when you turn on the lights.

Mine lights up
I’ll be pulling it apart in a week or so to replace my head unit, I’ll take pics and check the voltage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...4WD does not engage on my 2002
...sure I got a bad remanufactured module
...pull the dash switch. I have 2 questions: Does anyone know the voltage readings that should come out of the 4 wires?
...port on the back of the switch for the dash lights, but I cannot find a pigtail behind the dash to plug into it?
Your 2002 ExST 4x4 components+wiring is likely very simular to my 2001 ExST Job2.
2WHi~4WHi~4WLo dash switch is likely not your control problem, but the switch does have a green special\nonstandard backlight lamp;
my lamp went out so I modified a standard white T5 WedgeBase bulb+socket as a replacement; it's white not green, but works for me.
Sounds like someone has previously messed with the wiring harnesses behind that center dash panel.
A couple of years ago I had both the 4x4 ControlModule behind the passenger side kick panel &
a few months later the 4x4 ShiftMotor on the TransferCase fail; roughly 75$ each for new replacements off Ebay.
These 2 are known\notorious failure items; DC relays+motorbrushes don't last forever; both relatively easy to replace.
Links to info on fixing\replacing these at
http://2001fordexplorersporttrac.fandom.com/Mechanical_TransferCase
Hope this helps.

Thanks, I happened to find a YouTube video on this, I checked the Ohms on the switch, it's fine. I am now thinking that the bulb wiring is part of the 4-wire harness, not a separate pigtail. It just looks like a socket on the back. Bulb is probably just burned out. $55 to fix but what the hell, it's apart anyway. I replaced the motor on the transfer case several years ago. Yesterday I pulled it and it looks ok. I'll wait for the replacement relay, still no clicks like it used to and back when the motor WAS bad, the relay still had a noticeable sound when the switch was turned.

Ok, I checked the switch, it's ok. I replaced the control module twice, no result. I replaced the motor on the transfer case, no result.
I checked both fuses, #13 under the hood and #35 in the driver door jamb, all ok.
Is there anyone out there with a wiring diagram? I had some issue a long time ago with the steering column wiring & turn signals, just wondering if there could be something there. I am now pretty sure I have a power/broken wire problem.

4x4 ControlDiagram for my 2001 ExST is below.
Not sure how accurate for your 2002.
Make sure to check the fuses with a VOM, not just visually.
> 4x4 ControlModule is
FordMotorCraft# 1L54-7h417-ab\ac\ad\ae
> 4x4 ShiftMotor is
FordMotorCraft# 1L5z-7g360-ca\1L5z-7g360-cb\yL5z-7g360-aa\1L54-ca\1L54-cb\2L24-aa\yL54-aa\1f24-17645-a\1f24-17645-b
CarDone# 48-202
Dorman# 600-926
Hope this helps.
2001.Ford.ExST_4wMT.Elec.GIF

4x4 ControlDiagram for my 2001 ExST is below.
Not sure how accurate for your 2002.
Make sure to check the fuses with a VOM, not just visually.
> 4x4 ControlModule is
FordMotorCraft# 1L54-7h417-ab\ac\ad\ae
> 4x4 ShiftMotor is
FordMotorCraft# 1L5z-7g360-ca\1L5z-7g360-cb\yL5z-7g360-aa\1L54-ca\1L54-cb\2L24-aa\yL54-aa\1f24-17645-a\1f24-17645-b
CarDone# 48-202
Dorman# 600-926
Hope this helps.
View attachment 1342
Thank you so much! Would you have a diagram with a little better resolution? I've tried to blow it up but the lettering is still unreadable.

Tim

Latest posts