4WD Won't Disengage

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Towey

Reaction score
I have a 2002 Sport Trac. About two weeks ago I put it into 4W High to back up slippy driveway. Light on dash showed I was in 4WH. Later that evening, I got in truck and drove away. Light on dash did not indicate truck was in 4WH. I drove about 8 miles at about 40mph and noticed selector on dash was still engaged in 4WD. I was unable to get vehicle out of 4WD. I pulled all fuses and they were fine. Aftern pulling fuses, vehicle was again in 2WD.

Used 4WD again yesterday. Light came on for 4WH but again, light went out and vehicle was stuck in 4WH when selector on dash was placed in 2WD. I pulled all fuses, but this did not fix the problem. I located 4WD module under right kick panel and disconnected both wire harnesses from it. Reconnected it and vehichle again reverted to 2WD.

Is the 4WD module under kick panel the problem or could it be something else? The number on the module is 1L54-7H417-AD I cannot find this part on line using this Ford Part number. If the module is the problem, can someone direct me to a site where I can find it to purchase?

Thanks,

John

You might want to try putting it in 4Low and see if it comes out of that, don't forget to put in neutral first. Try going form regular 2WD straight to 4low and then try going back. If it stays on it might just be the switch on the dash that is bad.

Nick,

Tried exactly as you described. This was also the suggestion from my Ford dealer, however, it did not work. I thought it was a one time fluke and it went away. But when it happened again, i need to get it fixed. The module is simple to replace if that is the problem.

Thanks

Thats the Exact problem George C had.... He had to shut the truck off for it to come out of 4wd...

Bad module..

Contact our Ford sponsor for a great price on a new one, OR get one used,,

Todd Z

One more suggestion to try: if possible, after returning the switch to 2WD, place the trac in Reverse and allow it to roll backwards for one full rotation of the tires. This used to be the only way to disengage 4WD with automatic hubs- before electronic controls (for example I used to have to do this with an '86 Nissan Hardbody Pickup XE).

Replaced the module with a brand new module. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Shutting vehicle off and turning it back on seems to get it to operate as it should. Is there anything special to to to get the new module to synch

with the vehicle after replacing it?I just tapped the 4WD motor on top of transfer case to try that. Anybody have any other thoughts why this might be intermittent?