4x4 01 J2 ABS Issues

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 4x4 auto Job 2 '01 trac with 152,000 miles (245,000 km) and live in Ontario, Canada

I have been having the ABS brakes pulse in the last 4 feet for a while now, but its gotten to the point of 90% of the time, versus 10% of the time when it started some time ago. I did not have new brakes put on when it started, but may have around 6 months before. I recently had new brakes put on, and ensured the rotors were correct. Not fixed by the new rotors.

I recently took it to the stealer, and they quoted me $960 cdn for the 2 sealed bearings in the front.

I have a few questions:

1) Can I get them anywhere else than the stealer (or from a friend of mysportrac.com)?

2) What would they cost? (I am in the US frequently, and have a US shipping address)

3) How many wrenches would this be? I have changed front and rear brakes myself in the past (been having them serviced lately due to time issues)

Thanks for any help.

Jerry,

The wheel hub is not hard to fix, though it is not easy.

Remove wheels and brake calipers, pads, and rotors. Remove the large axle nut. Put the axle inwards to remove it from the hub. Remove the three bolts that hold the bearing/hub assembly to the knuckle, and remove the bearing. There is also a wiring connector for the ABS sytem that will need to be unplugged.

How close to the Detroit or New York area are you?

Tom

I looked up your town on mapquest. You are quite a distance from my place. I would offer you the chance to do it at my house, but it looks like you would have clse to a 6, if not longer, drive to my house.

Tom

I replaced a hub on my wife's 2000 chevy 4x4 Blazer and it wasn't too bad.

After you had the brake job done did they bleed the brake lines? Maybe the bleeders weren't tightened up completely and are leaking. Recently I changed my brakes but I didn't bleed them right afterwards, then when I did it wasn't good enough and I had that problem. It may be something as simple as that.

The 4x4 sensor is in the hub, NOT the rotor on the 4x4.....

There is a project on replacing the hub, check out the projects section...

also you can get aftermarket parts, or use the OEM stuff... Our ford sponsor ships to Canada, or there is a Canada dealer some on on here works at, I am sure they can hook you up..

Todd Z

Been a few years since I posted about my 01 4x4 J1. ABS light on for a few months, would go out after driving through a good sized puddle. Had truck in for the recalled cruise control switch harness fix and asked them to check ABS sensor. Was told the rear pinion seal was leaking as determined by a pin point test. Dealer says it is leaking on the sensor. To replace sensor and repair seal it will be $539.

Couple questions? 1) What is a pin point test? 2) Does this make sense that a rear pinion seal would leak on the sensor? 3) Is it really that expensive of a job or can a non-dealer shop change that seal?

Brakes are ok.

Glad to see the site still going strong. Thanks

Latest posts