4x4/4WD Module

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Mason 2

Reaction score
I've replaced the 4x4 control module that is located in the passenger side kick panel, and now I have the clicking sound - but I get no indicator illumination and no four wheel drive. I heard that you could hit the "motor" with a rubber mallet...where is said motor? Also - if the motor is seized up (a strong possibility) how hard is it to replace? Does anyone have a part number or more specific name?

Thanks in advance!

PM

It's the big black electric motor mounted on the backside of your transfer case. Try our sponsors first for the part, I believe they can be had for around $100.

ok, so I tapped on the motor and now the 4wd High light is on, and it is in 4wd High, but it won't come back out. Any ideas how to get it OUT of 4wd so I can get to work :). I have 30 miles of highway driving to do... plus it really hesitates when I go in reverse or turn...

PM, turn it off and tap the motor again...

Also you can drive it that way....

i had to break in the front diff in my truck and drove it for 500 miles in 4wd.....

JUST don't make tight turns !!!!!

Todd Z

If the motor is bad and not something in the Tcase yes...... But i would try moving the motor and exercise it a couple of times, It may just be stuck...

Try backing up a little and leave the truck running, put it in park and and then in 2wd... Tap the motor...

Todd Z

The ST 4wd is not a system designed with play for hard on road or dry surfaces....

Most of the 4wd i owned did that.....

Todd Z

Every 4x4 will feel "choppy" while in 4x4 while sharp turning - since when both front and rear axles are locked together in 4x4, when you turn the differential on the front while turning will be slighty different speed from the rear thus making both being "un-syncronized" and making that clunking/choppy feel" as the front and rear axles are locked up trying to keep them in snyc the tires and movement are trying to spin the axles differently you hear that noise and chopping...

Once again, this site proves itself!!! I changed the transfer case motor (so easy a caveman could do it) and now I can get the truck into 2WD - 4WD High and even 4WD Low. Thanks everyone for their quick answers and comments.

:banana::banana::banana:

Nothing against our site sponsors but I got my new shift motor from O'reilleys auto parts and it has a lifetime warranty, which is something Ford will never offer.

This site has saved me so much money byhelping diagnose problems and then repairing them myself. I swear, it's in the thousands of dollars saved by not having to bring my truck to the dealer or a mechanic.