4X4 Auto

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Henning

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just purchased an 2008 Sport Trac 4X4 Limited.... Question about the 4x4 Auto mode. I have three buttons on the console. When I push the 4x4 auto button I get no indication on the dash I am in this mode. If I select either 4x4 High or 4x4 Low an idicator light pops up on the dash readout that I am in this mode. Is the vehicle always in 4x4 auto mode and the 4x4 Auto is just a dummy button ( it does depress like the other two modes) . I was under the impression that the vehicle was in two wheel drive mode and when 4x4 Auto selected would monitor and put the vehicle in 4x4 mode when wheel slippage occurs... Any input would be appreciated as the sales guy had no clue. Going to try and ask service today.

thanks

Mike:huh:

4x4 auto is 2WD until the rear slips Than it kicks into 4x4 mode and then back out when you get moving.

4x4 high is 4x4 mode

4x4 Low is 4x4 with the transfercase in low gear.

There is no light on in 4x4 Auto mode because you are always in 4x4 Auto mode if you are not in 4x4 high or 4x4 low.

Tom

Thanks Tom,

So the vehicle is always in 4x4 Auto mode and the button is just there for looks?

Mike

So the vehicle is always in 4x4 Auto mode and the button is just there for looks?

Maybe the button is there to put it in 4x4 Auto mode out of 4x4 high.

Tom