4x4 did not come on

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hessan Khan

Reaction score
Yesterday, I could not get the 4x4 hi to come on in the snow. I even pulled off the side of the road, shut and restart the ST. Got home, looked up the fuses to be checked, went back outside and it came on as if I was a moron. The 4x4 module is 2 months old. First time this has occurred. What gives?

Hessank::huh:

The module should give off a click and then the dash should light up. That part is what you can see. If that is happening and you still don't have 4x4 it most likely is mechanical. There is a motor to engage the 4x4. Some have had to tap with a hammer because of rust.

Hessank,

I had the same problem on my 2001 ST. No lights on dash, no click from panel. Took it to dealership, and was told the Transfer Case Motor was intermittent. Quoted $500+ to repair. I paid my $79.95 for checking it out and when they brought it around, the 4X4 was working. Since then in the last 3 months it has quit only once, but then started working again the same day. I know I need to replace the motor, but Ford was charging too much.

Autozone shows them as under $100.00

Dorman / Transfer Case Motor

600-807 $99.99

Cardone Reman / Transfer Case Motor

48-202 Price: $71.99 Core: $39.50 Total: $111.49

I plan on replacing it myself this spring.

Regards,

Dave