4x4 from 4x2 shopping list -One of the Last times

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Donaldson

Reaction score
Ok I know most of you are going to just tell me to forget about it but...

My neighbor owns a salvage company and apparently has a few 4x4 98 and 96 explorers of the roll over type of persuasion... So I have a 4x4 Donner truck for my 2001 job 2 4x2 sport trac. Now all I need is a complete shopping list.

*The one thing I can not find in my research is what the transfer case plugs into. I know that there is some sort of 4x4 control module but I don't know what its actual part name is or more importantly its physical location.

------------------------------------------------------

Shopping List:

*This is what I have so far PLEASE tell me what if anything I am missing:

Cab stuff...

4x4 control switch

4x4 center console radio besil

4x4 instrament pannel

Actual 4x4 equipment:

4x4 automatic transmission main shaft -longer tail shaft than 4x2

4x4 tail shaft housing

transfer case

Full 4x4 front end front diff. drive shaft. hubs. ect.

Anti lock braking 4x4 control module.

*4x4 control module

Engine:

-apparently there is a 4x4 "balance shaft" in with the timing jack shaft asym.

Dealer stuff:

Get the cars brain flashed with new 4x4 stuff.

Thanks in Advance. Ok guys it looks like it might actually happen. I have 2 gear head friends who know Land rovers very well. (they whine every time I do anything on my truck, especially help me change spark plugs).;) But if any of you have any suggestions that would be awesome. I am hopping to just "figure out" where the wires go when I dissemble the donor car. ;) :D

-this mod was based on the link provided by Scott G.

transmission mount, Cross member if different,

The 4x4 module is located int he passenger kick panel, it is a small black box with 2 wire connectors going into it..

the computer may not need a flash, just get a ST computer that is 4wd...

You will also need the dash board lights if they are not there, I don't know if they are different, but you never know..

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Todd Z...

Ya i am pretty sure that the 4x4 lights are not in the 4x2 dash because all the other lights I can "see" the translucent plastic and on the Fast parts network they where listed the instrument cluster in 4x4 and 4x2 divisions.

-However I do prefer the white washed gauges on the sport trac over the probably black face on the donor truck. could I just wire in Led's instead and make my own indicator lights?

Latest posts