4X4 Intermittent

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Ponder

Reaction score
OK, today in Kansas City we have Ice.. I took the daughter to her ACT test.. HAD to be today right? Anyway, 4X4 worked fine on the way, got there, turned it off. 5 minutes later, went to leave, sitting on ice so I turned the switch to 4X4 high. No light, no click in passinger kick panel. It was fun getting out of there. Now I have been reading some of the previous posts, and I know about the module issue. I suspected this was the problem, since there was no 4X4 light, and no relay click. But, since I had to drive by the dealership on the way home, I stopped in and let them diagnose it. ($79.95).. When I got there, I flipped the switch to 4X4 high, and it came on like normal. Well, I let them look at it anyway. They called me back to the service area about an hour later, and said they road tested the truck, and it was working fine. They did state that they found codes in memory pointing to the Transfer Case Shift Motor. (The codes on my receipt were: P1867, P1891, B1317, B1318, PPT.) They state the shift motor is sticking intermittently, and quoted me $570.00 including part, labor, and diagnostic. They didnt have the motor in stock, so I paid my $79.95 and they will call me on Tuesday when they have the motor.

I am posting this for 3 reasons. : First, if there were codes present, shouldnt the check engine or O/D light have been flashing? / Second, if there were no relay clicks, no 4X4 lights, wouldnt that more likely me a module? / Third, I am fairly good at doing my own mechanic/repair work, but this is my first 4X4, so I am new to transfer cases. How difficult would it be for me to change the part myself?

Thanks for any advice you can offer. Dave