4x4 module and disconnecting battery

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kil roy

Reaction score
OK after doing some major surfing today on the site

i am afraid to disconnect my battery to locate my keyless entry code.

i have read where many people have killed thier 4x4 modules when they

reconnect the battery after service or had to jump start their STs.

are my fears valid?

i have read that you can get the code by removing the defroster panel

without removing the airbag, has anyone done this?

Don't bother with taking the airbag out....just remove the defrost panel that runs the length of the top of the dash it just pops out and then look through the windshield from the outside pasenger side and you'll see it ......... Use a flashlight and you'll see it right there ..... THERE IS NO REASON TO REMOVE YOUR AIRBAG

Last edited by a moderator:
off trac,

i did see this post but it doesnt say how exactly this panel comes off

is there a certain location that you have to pry?

truck interior is in really good condition and i dont want to damage

anything in the process if you know what i mean.

I think the problem people have had with the 4x4 module and the battery is when the battery dies. Some silly engineer at Ford thought it a good idea for the GEM to keep trying to cycle on if the battery power was low, and this kills things. I had this happen once - I returned to my truck to hear all sorts of electronics clanging under the dash. Tow truck guy disconnected the battery to save the electronics.

If the battery is disconnected, there is no power to fry things. This noted, good luck!

I see you have a 2001 Trac. Is it a you have a Job 1 or a Job 2 Trac.

Job 1 is behind the rear panel behind the rear seat. Job 2 is behind the air bag as mentioned above...

coastiejoe, its definitely a job 2 ST so its behind the airbag.

Yardsale, after doing some searching today(pretty much all day)

i found some posts that had disconnected battery to do a repair and when

reconnected they had no 4x4 module so it doesnt seem to just be

when the battery goes bad. unless it was just coincidence.

still searching to find out how the duct comes out. if i come across

anything i will pass it along.

i just downloaded the factory 2001 truck service manual and im searching

it now

wp23n,

I have, on two different occasions,disconnected the battery without any problems.I did follow the procedure in the manual that describes what to do when you unhook the battery.

I also had to remove the passenger side airbag to get my keyless code.There are two 8mm screws to remove,and the airbag will slide out.Remember to disconnect the battery for two minutes before removing the airbag.

ok i think i will do it tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed that it doesnt damage the

module

i downloaded the ford dealer repair manual and it gives pretty good information on it.

thanks again for all the answers and info

Hey guys, I'm a new ST owner and new to the board. Maybe I'm missing something here, but can't your local Ford dealer run the VIN number a get the keycode?

Wow, that is steep. The reason I asked was I bought my ST used and went to a local dealer to get some accessories. While talking with the parts guy I gave him my VIN number and he gave me a lot of info on my ST, rear end ratio, date in service, original dealer, keyless entry code, etc. They didn't charge me for that info. Guess I got lucky and should count my blessings.