4x4 module or motor???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Peterson

Reaction score
After my truck has sat in the cold for hours when i start it up there is clicking from the module area on the passenger side, it will continue to click for several minutes. Both lights for 4hi and 4lo come on like normal when i start. If i try to drive (done only once) it drives like it's in 4lo but the spedometer speeds up to over 100mph instantly as i tried to move. It goes away either if the truck warms up, or if i put the truck in neutral and shift down through 4hi and 4lo then back up it usually works. This morning while leaving work i had to shift it through the gears twice.

This only happens when it is cold and parked outside, it doen't happen if parked inside my garage.

does this sound like the module or the motor on the 4x4?

any help would be great?

thanks

mark

My guess is the module.....

The speedo jumping to 100 sounds like something different....

Maybe the battery or alternator is going bad.... The ST acts weird when the electrical voltage drops..

Todd Z

Don't know about the spedometer issue but yeah, I'd say you need a new 4X module out right (common).

But like Todd stated, check out the battery power first. Not just that it has 12V but drawdown on it also with load. Most likely the culprit.