4x4 not functioning properly

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Art Garcia

Reaction score
well first of all i drive a 01 sport trac

anywho i went off roadin the other day.... and i was on 2wd but then needed to get into 4x4.

so the way i switch into 4x4 is put it in neutral and turn the knob to 4x4 and then put it in drive . well i put it in neutral and turn it to 4x4 high and then released the brake but it didnt lock into 4x4. the knob sayed 4x4 but my panel 4x4 ligth wasnt glowing so i thougth it was strange and i tried again..and agian... but could never get it on 4x4 anymore.....im really conscerned about this.... if anyone knows what migth be wrong please message me. thanks

myspace.com/yoarturo

or [email protected]

4x4 module is bad...

Todd Z

would that be the same as a 4x4 transfer box or 4x4 converster box

would you happen to know the cost fro the dodule?

is it a big problem?

thnks

im only 17

Not the same as any thing listed above...

Check the projects link on the left column, there is a project on how to replace it..

Todd Z

arturo - FYI you do not need to shift into neutral for 4x4 high, just drive and flip the switch to 4 high, for 4 low you need to do the neutral with foot on the brake deal.

The module (electronic) is located behind the kickplate on the passinger side. You should hear a click from that location when you put it in 4x4. The module you can replace yourself in 10 minutes. It should cost you under $200 for the replacement.