4X4 PROBLEM

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Reeves

Reaction score
Had trouble getting in to LOW 4x4 yesterday with my '01 ST. Put trans in neutral, turned switch to LOW 4x4...nothing...turned back and forth several times and got it to go to HIGH but still wouldn't go to LOW. Finally, after several minutes of trying, he went into LOW. Got my work done, then couldn't get out of LOW. Once again, after several minutes of switching back and forth, rolling forward, then backward, etc, he went back to 2W drive. Any thoughts out there?

If you are putting your foot on the brake, here's another couple of questions... Do you hear a click in the passenger footwell when going from 2H to 4H and then from 4H to 4L? You should. If you do not hear a click, then your transfer case relay may be the problem. It's an easy($150) fix.

If you do hear the clicks, then it might be that the transfer case motor shaft just has some corrosion on it. Switching it in and out several times might just solve the problem, as you have done. Some people with this problem have had to GENTLY tap on the motor to get it moving, but you did get it in 4L eventually, so it's at least working some times. If it keeps doing it, you may have to replace the motor(not a hard job either).

Do you regularly(as in at least monthly), engage both 4H and 4L? This will help stop the motor sticking problem. Just do it on a straight road. You don't have to drive for long, just long enough to make sure it's engaged.

Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill, also make sure your drivetrain isn't under strain when you are trying to engage 4Lo, I found it worked best if I came to a stop, put the truck in neutral on a level surface, took my foot of the break to let it move it all if it wanted to, then put my foot back on the brake and switched it to 4Lo. If it won't go just backing up or going forward a couple of feet and trying again can work.

Thanks, y'all, haven't had time to look at it yet, but I appreciate your input.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi to all. Where exactly I can find the transfer case relay, because I have the same 4x4 problem and I can't hear the click when turn the 4x4 switch.

Thanks