4X4 stopped working

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I used 4x4 high this past sunday in my 2001 ST with no problems at all. The next day I needed it again, but when I turned the switch nothing happen, the lights didn't even turn on.

Any suggestions as to where to look to start trouble shooting this problem.

J - when you put it in 4x4 do you hear a click coming from the passenger side kick panel? There is a relay on the module that you should hear. If no click and the fuse is good the module will need to be replaced. The part is over $100 but takes five minyes to replace. A dealer will charge you hundreds to replace.

I had a similar problem a few months back, was getting ready to change out the module, then hit a huge pothole on alberta's lovely highways, and the 4x4 seemed to come back alive, I have not had any problems since.

If you've had your dash apart, check your connection on the activator switch, you could also try going underneath, and tapping the selector motor with a hammer gently, while someone moves the switch inside to see if the motor is stuck.

I've changed all of the fuses marked 4x4 in the fuse panel located in the drivers compartment, just inside the driver's door. Is there a fuse marked instrument panel, that also effects the 4WD? I also looked at the fuse box under the hood. That one appears fine, but I did not replace it.

I don't hear any kind of clicking noise. The green lights behind the 4x4 dial are lit, the lights on the dash do not come on and it won't engage into 4x4 high or low.

My father-in law suggested looking for a disconnected vaccum hose, but I wasn't sure if the fords used that. How to I check this module? Is there any "how to" guides available, so I know what I am looking for.