4x4 vs 4x2

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good morning all, hoping this isnt a repeat question. I'm trying to decide if I should trade my 4x2 XLS for 4x4 or not. I'm moving home to Colorado soon and havnt driven in snow for quite some time. Will this powertrax give me the traction I need, or will it just be cheaper and easier to go with the 4x4?? Thanks for any comments/suggestions!!

Ebin

A Powertrax is one of the best L/S's out there but if you get deep snow or it's hilly where you will be, I'd seriously consider getting a 4x4. And sell your 4x2 before you get there. Where I live we don't get tons of snow but it's very hilly so I like my 4wd.

If you haven't driven in snow for a while.....

4x2--when you turn in snow/ice the back end will slide out. Let off the gas and steer into the skid.

4x2 with L/S--same only worse because BOTH rear wheels will break traction. With an open diff, one wheel will spin and the other will help track the vehicle (somewhat). Better overall but you've got to stay on your toes. Me, I'd still rather have power going to both back wheels and steer it right, and go light on the gas.

4x4--when you turn, it will want to go straight ahead. Let off the gas and hope the front tires grab and start to turn you before you hit something hard. Trick to driving a 4x4 in the snow is to go slower than you might want to because the way 4wd helps you is by applying power to all 4 wheels. If you're already going too fast for conditions, then you really can't power out of a situation. And coasting or braking, a 4x4 has no advantage over a 4x2. Maybe less because it's heavier. Einstein and physics and all that.

Eeeeeasy and smoooooth with the steering, brakes, and gas are the keys to driving in snow. Ice, ain't much gonna help. Stay home and call off work. This is why the ideal winter car is a Lamborghini. "Hello, boss? There's 2" of snow and my Lambo is stuck. I won't be in." On the other hand, if you have a 4x4 they'll expect you to be there. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in Florida, is there a way I can apply that Lambo logic to get myself out of work down here. I would realy like to get a Lambo on the companies dime.:wacko:

Nothing holds a match to Colorado snow and ICE, been there, that's an entirely different kind of ice... something about that mountain snow. You need all the help you can get.

JohnnyO pretty much nailed it right on.

Colorado Schmolorado, I'd stay in Hawaii. :lol:

Get the 4x4.

Good luck.

not only does the boss expect a person with a 4x4 to get to work, they expect you to pick up your coworkers on the way HAHAHAHAHAHA

Friend took his 4x2 Tacoma Prerunner from FL to RI...... now knows he needs 4x4 in the winter, but the dealers don't want to touch his truck since it is only 4x2.....

Trade BEFORE you get to CO....

Been there, done that, Dale. I'm glad I don't own a 4x4 anymore. Got tired of ferrying co-workers around during snow/ice storms. Now I'm just another peon stuck at home during bad weather. That's why God invented snow/ice - a way to tell man to stay home and enjoy a cold brew!

I have a 4x2, and live in upstate ny snowbelt... i have a LS rear, and with good snow tires and 5 tube sands in the bed (350 lbs), it'll go just about anywhere... a 4x4 w/ LS is best tho.. still gotta have good snow tires.. the stock tires are not good snows...

if i get stuck, i probably deserved it....

JMHO..

Me said:
I live in Florida, is there a way I can apply that Lambo logic to get myself out of work down here.

Easy. Just tell them it won't start. It's Italian, they'll believe you*. :lol:

*I'm Italian, I can say that.

Friend took his 4x2 Tacoma Prerunner from FL to RI...... now knows he needs 4x4 in the winter, but the dealers don't want to touch his truck since it is only 4x2.....

Trade BEFORE you get to CO....

Is that like my step father in law, moving from Maine to Texas and trying to trade in a Dodge Ram, V10, 4x4 with a snow plow. Needless to say, a dealership took the truck in trade without the plow and he drove back to Maine with the plow to sell it. Someone in Texas asked him if he mowed the grass with the plow.:wub: