5.0 V8 2001 Sport Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is all of Texas like that, or just those who live in the cities?

Is all of Texas like that, or just those who live in the cities?
My county is for sure "Harris County" Houston area. My understanding is, when the vehicle is 25yrs old. You can do what you want. I would have to wait 10 more years for the Trac. Then I would be 82..LOL
I think the Dallas area and large metro area's have the same rules. I hear of folks away from metro doing what they want and passing inspections. Works if you have kin with the same last name.
If things go the way they are. We will drive electric and only drive for groceries in this large state.:mad:
Read an article that a deisal powered generator burns enough fuel. To fully charge the fastest 300 mile to the charge Tesla. That the Tesla only gets 5.86 MPG in fuel.

Are you saying, you live somewhere where you can't do a motor swap? I love your silver truck; what happens if the motor dies? I'd want to put either a 302 (push-rod) in it, or a 5.0 (coyote) in it. They don't allow you to work on things, that way?

Oh, and I'm not a bike guy, but sending you awesome love for your Harley's :) I don't ride, but love the way they look, and the freedom they provide! :)

JC

My county is for sure "Harris County" Houston area. My understanding is, when the vehicle is 25yrs old. You can do what you want. I would have to wait 10 more years for the Trac. Then I would be 82..LOL
I think the Dallas area and large metro area's have the same rules. I hear of folks away from metro doing what they want and passing inspections. Works if you have kin with the same last name.
If things go the way they are. We will drive electric and only drive for groceries in this large state.:mad:
Read an article that a deisal powered generator burns enough fuel. To fully charge the fastest 300 mile to the charge Tesla. That the Tesla only gets 5.86 MPG in fuel.

The metro Atlanta has emission regs. ...just one of many reasons I avoid living in big cities.

But I thought the way it worked is if you could pass their emission standards, you could do whatever you wanted. I learn something new every day.

Are you saying, you live somewhere where you can't do a motor swap?
We can only legally replace with an alike motor. We can use tuners and bolt on's. If the inspection station is being audited. Or if the inspector is a jerk. If your motor sounds radical, exhaust smells rich. I have had friends get the exhaust probed, even though, no check engine light.
JC,,I forgot to tell you I was running the motorsport E-Cam in the '94 Stang. I was going to use the B-Cam. I chickened out. The '94 was OBD 1. So it would get the tailpipe sniff. One of my Bud's Had the B-cam in his '93 LX notch back. The sniff test got him. The systems in Texas are tied to the DOT network. SUX
One motor builder I knew had a system. His F-150 Lighting was very radical & no cats. after hours, His friend would scan his VIN. Then put the sniff probe in a different tail pipe.
He got busted. some one ratted them out. It was odd that TXDOT & TX HWY patrol showed up 1 Hour after closing time. That is when they would do several cars.

Last edited:
I have heard there are a couple of ways to fool the sniffer. One of my friends added alcohol to the fuel and passed his '68 Chevy. The other is to adapt the '08 Chevy Truck 6.6L Duramax tailpipe configuration. I have done a poor mans version of the latter on my STAs custom exhaust system. It was really loud. No cat converter I can see. The venturi effect allows extra air to cool and dilute the exhaust. It quieted it down quite a bit with no loss of power.

AZ allows you to change the engine, but with restrictions. The engine must match the vehicle catagory (light duty vs heavy duty) and must be of the same year group for the emissions category. All smog equipment on the replacement engine must be in place as installed by the OEM. So installing a 5.0L engine in a 4.0L vehicle is OK if the catagory is the same and it was smog equipped.

AZ has smog tests done every two years for OBD II vehicles and for '81 - '95 vehicles (includes sniff test). New cars don't get tested for 5 years. Earlier vehicles are tested annually down to 1967, except '67 - '74 do not get inspected for tampering. The testing requirements differ for the various years. There are changes to the regs underway, if they get approved.

Last edited:
We can only legally replace with an alike motor. We can use tuners and bolt on's. If the inspection station is being audited. Or if the inspector is a jerk. If your motor sounds radical, exhaust smells rich. I have had friends get the exhaust probed, even though, no check engine light.
JC,,I forgot to tell you I was running the motorsport E-Cam in the '94 Stang. I was going to use the B-Cam. I chickened out. The '94 was OBD 1. So it would get the tailpipe sniff. One of my Bud's Had the B-cam in his '93 LX notch back. The sniff test got him. The systems in Texas are tied to the DOT network. SUX
One motor builder I knew had a system. His F-150 Lighting was very radical & no cats. after hours, His friend would scan his VIN. Then put the sniff probe in a different tail pipe.
He got busted. some one ratted them out. It was odd that TXDOT & TX HWY patrol showed up 1 Hour after closing time. That is when they would do several cars.
All of this, LOL! The things we'd try to do, back them, on the '87-93 Mustangs (and the like) to try to get one over on anyone. It's so funny, given how incredible motors have come along now-adays!!!

I have heard there are a couple of ways to fool the sniffer. One of my friends added alcohol to the fuel and passed his '68 Chevy. The other is to adapt the '08 Chevy Truck 6.6L Duramax tailpipe configuration. I have done a poor mans version of the latter on my STAs custom exhaust system. It was really loud. No cat converter I can see. The venturi effect allows extra air to cool and dilute the exhaust. It quieted it down quite a bit with no loss of power.

AZ allows you to change the engine, but with restrictions. The engine must match the vehicle catagory (light duty vs heavy duty) and must be of the same year group for the emissions category. All smog equipment on the replacement engine must be in place as installed by the OEM. So installing a 5.0L engine in a 4.0L vehicle is OK if the catagory is the same and it was smog equipped.

AZ has smog tests done every two years for OBD II vehicles and for '81 - '95 vehicles (includes sniff test). New cars don't get tested for 5 years. Earlier vehicles are tested annually down to 1967, except '67 - '74 do not get inspected for tampering. The testing requirements differ for the various years. There are changes to the regs underway, if they get approved.
I'd NEVER suggest going backwards on engine standards, just because engines get so much better, decade after decade. Hell, the same 5.0 I loved in the 80's to the early 90's, versus the 5.0 that's available now (the new 5.0), they're not even on the same planet, as far as power output, efficiency, carbon-output (that's for you greenies), etc. The new motor is so far advanced, it's not even the same motor, even though it's the same displacement!

I'd NEVER suggest going backwards on engine standards, just because engines get so much better, decade after decade. Hell, the same 5.0 I loved in the 80's to the early 90's, versus the 5.0 that's available now (the new 5.0), they're not even on the same planet, as far as power output, efficiency, carbon-output (that's for you greenies), etc. The new motor is so far advanced, it's not even the same motor, even though it's the same displacement!
Eventually, I'll put one of the new 5.0's in a fox-body. I'm a Mustang fanatic, and want to give them the best-of. The new Coyote engine is most definitely the "best-of" Put a Turbo or SC on the guy, and a little 5.0 engine can get 8-900 HP out of it, relatively easy! And that's alot of juice!!!

Latest posts