5.4 swap

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about the DOHC 4.6, or the 5.0 coyote. It looks to be more compact than the 5.4.
The complete ford racing crate motor. Is in the same price range.

I've said this a few times before but I think the most practical engine upgrade for the Sport Trac would be the 5.3L shortblock assembly from Ford Performance. It uses the 5.0L Boss modular block with a forged steel stroker crankshaft to get to 5.3L. You can bolt 2V, 3V or 4V modular heads onto it because they used a piston design that will work with pretty much any modular cylinder head. The best thing about it is that it uses the same deck height as the 4.6L which means if you use 3V heads it would be a direct bolt-in in place of a stock 4.6L. Same engine mounts, same exhaust manifolds, same intake manifold, same everything except you gain 42 cu in. It may not be the least expensive option but it would be the least amount of aggravation. And, if you wanted to add forced induction it already has the pistons, rods and crank to handle it.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6009-B53

Modular motorsports makes crazy 4.6 motors too...

This is going to sound strange but I didn't realize until now that the thread the OP had referenced on explorerforum.com was one I started 4 years ago. How times have changed. Interesting to rehash all that stuff but I obviously never did any of that and instead traded the ST for an '18 F-150 with a Coyote. After twelve years and 164k miles PA and OH winters had done a number on the bottom of the ST's cab and it was time to move on. :oops:

Latest posts