5w20 oil tsb

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron N

Reaction score
After reading the oil filter message, I was looking up some different articles and came across this one on the ford tsb on the use of 5w20 oil. The ST is on the list of not to use this oil._Ron I guess I should have added the url so ya'll could read it huh.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 05 recommends 5W30, I always use that because my driving conditions are fairly normal and it seems to work good. I always used 5W30 in my 2000 Explorer with no problems as well.

My '07 V8 4X4 ST manual recommends 5W20. I use Castrol GTX 10W30 in all my other cars every 3000 miles and have had no problems. I am thinking of having my service done at the dealer as long as it is under warranty and will probably get the 5W20 blend per the manual. Any thoughts on this?

I got the extended FORD warranty and getting a 4WD serviced by them seems to be best for me especially since it has odd things like a 6 speed tranny with no dipstick to check on the fluids with.

Gary
:unsure:

It is not recomended for the 4.0L SOHC engine.

I got my first four oil changes free from the dealer. On the second one the work order said they used 5w-20.:rolleyes: I changed it again myself the next day with 5w-30, figuring that at least I got the filter for free. Same thing on the third oil change. After that I reasoned that I just don't have the kind of time to wait an hour and a half or two at the dealer, my time is worth more than a $4 filter, so I do it myself.

JohnnyO,

I would have done it differently. I would have stuck the paperwork in their face, asked them why was the wrong oil put in my vehicle, then told them irreversable damage could have been done and I need something in writing that nothing bad was done.

That is why I do my own work myself.

Tom

I wanted to Caymen, but I was already home when I noticed and I didn't have the time to go back any other day either. I do my own work whenever possible.